logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
XKR2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2014 1:32:22 PM(UTC)
XKR2

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I am new to MetaStock (although I have been subscribing to data for a number of years and using the downloader to get that data into other software). So whilst I owned MS 11 I have never actually used the software.

I have now purchased MetaStock 13 with the intention of getting to know what MS can do. However, I am struggling to get over the basics of what I would want to do so am looking for some guidance or some literature I can look at that might assist.

My basic issue is this - I understand what Systems are (and can create my own if required). I can see how you back test Systems using the system tester and get set of results back - I can interpret the results.

What I am struggling with is how I then convert those System Tests into 'strategies' that I can trade. It looks as though I need to run an exploration that will pull out the charts that have a current 'Buy' or 'Sell' signal generated by my system - but is there any easy way to go from writing a complex System Test to getting an exploration based upon that - or is it a lot of cutting and pasting?

Once I have a set of charts with 'buy' /'sell' signals on them, how do I monitor them (for say exits if I have entered a position) - do I need to create an expert based upon my system test and attach that to every chart?

Final question (for now) - when I generate a system test, I can opt to have the signals added to the chart - is there any quick way of then getting rid of all of them - I seem to have to go through the chart and delete the green arrows, exit signs etc. one at a time?

Many thanks in advance

James

Edited by user Saturday, November 1, 2014 1:35:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 5:53:28 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XKR2 Go to Quoted Post

I am new to MetaStock (although I have been subscribing to data for a number of years and using the downloader to get that data into other software). So whilst I owned MS 11 I have never actually used the software.

I have now purchased MetaStock 13 with the intention of getting to know what MS can do. However, I am struggling to get over the basics of what I would want to do so am looking for some guidance or some literature I can look at that might assist.

My basic issue is this - I understand what Systems are (and can create my own if required). I can see how you back test Systems using the system tester and get set of results back - I can interpret the results.

What I am struggling with is how I then convert those System Tests into 'strategies' that I can trade. It looks as though I need to run an exploration that will pull out the charts that have a current 'Buy' or 'Sell' signal generated by my system - but is there any easy way to go from writing a complex System Test to getting an exploration based upon that - or is it a lot of cutting and pasting?

Once I have a set of charts with 'buy' /'sell' signals on them, how do I monitor them (for say exits if I have entered a position) - do I need to create an expert based upon my system test and attach that to every chart?

Final question (for now) - when I generate a system test, I can opt to have the signals added to the chart - is there any quick way of then getting rid of all of them - I seem to have to go through the chart and delete the green arrows, exit signs etc. one at a time?

Many thanks in advance

James

Hi James,

At this time there is no direct way to copy a system test into an expert or exploration.  Copy / Pasting each "Order" tab into a desired column in the Explorer (or as a new "Symbol" in the Expert Advisor) would be necessary.

Monitoring the position via an Expert Advisor is possible.  There are of course additional features in the System Tester that do not exist in Expert Advisor (such as the Stops tab) so that could affect how easy it is to migrate your trading strategies into a chart.

When you have a MetaStock chart open, you can use the Edit-->Delete All option.  You can delete "Symbols" (which would elimintate non-expert advisor symbols in the chart such as those added via the "Plot on Chart" option in the System Tester) but be advised this would also eliminate any symbols you may have manually added into the chart yourself.