logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PlainCityMan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:10:42 PM(UTC)
PlainCityMan

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi. I recently purchased the Tactical Trader addon. I was wondering if anyone else has this package and has an opinion on the users manual? One of the selling points that persuaded me to try this package is the claim of a very extensive and eduational manual. Well, I've read this manual a few times now and am still finding a large part of it incomprehensible. The paragraphs are vage disorganized and full of grammer that is so bad that a lot of the sentences make absolutely no sense. I still have no idea how one trading system in this addon differs from any of the others.

The author makes vague references to how his models make use of different time scales and talks in broad generalities about how the user is supposed to use this to his advantage but in the end it is a jumbled collection of vague phrases put together to take up space on the pages. I have rarely seen so many words say so little. As an example, many times he talks of a "Domino Effect" and after reading the manual three times, I'm still not sure exactly what that is or what I'm supposed to do with it or how to make it work for me.

In the end it is clear that arrows mean to buy or sell and circles offer alternative entry points and red is short and blue is long. So in one sentence I've summed up the only coherent information in the whole manual.

It sure would be nice to have some idea of the strengths and weaknesses and intended targets of each trading system and how they differ from each other.

Any one else have any thoughts on this plug in?

Bisto  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:22:21 PM(UTC)
Bisto

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I understand your complaining about the manual also because it should be one of the reason to buy a product instead of ****

at the end do you think that the product is valid, non considering the manual?

PlainCityMan  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 7:38:07 PM(UTC)
PlainCityMan

The manual was so poorly written that there is really little insight into the author's intentions for the various tools. That is I have no idea what specific applications the author had in mind for the various tools. So that leaves me with the only option of applying the tools to groups of securities (NASDAQ 100, S&P 500, etc...) in Meta Stock explorations and matching systems wtih stocks. Well, the tools did so poorly across the board that it is too bad that Meta Stock does not offer the option to do the oppositie of what a trading system says to do as an option! So maybe the real value of the Tactical Trader systems is to do the opposite of what it is telling you to do so as to make money. :) If I get the time I'll expore creating systems based on doing the opposite of what the Tactical Trader indictors are saying to do. But of course I buy plugins to save time in not having to develop systems from scratch.

Bottom line is that I would not recommend buying Tactical Trader.

Bisto  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:07:16 AM(UTC)
Bisto

It doesn't seem to be valid...

I read that it uses a lot the zig zag therefore system tester gives not realistic results. Did you find also this problem with that product?

I would put in mestastock 11 wishlist an option in the system tester to run the tests loading data bar per bar to not let to zig zag based system to give fantastic results.

Loading data day per day would simulate the reality, of course the simulation will be slower but it could be acceptable giving to the user the chance to consciously choice this "anti zig zag advantage mode".

A slow result it's a lot better then a fake result!
PlainCityMan  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:23:44 PM(UTC)
PlainCityMan

I saw no indication that the Tactical Trader models use the zig zag function. It is a black box system so I'm not sure how one could tell one way or the other. All I know is that during system tests just about every stock lost big with the models over a 4 year time period. The losses were so consistent that doing the opposite might be a pretty good strategy.

Bisto  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:27:24 AM(UTC)
Bisto

Did you note that some entry/exit signal disappear after one or more days?

It usually happens when some zig zag based functions is used because it "sees" in the future therefore the system tester is cheated and, in the reality, when you update your EOD data it could happen that new data can change the value of zig zag based indicators IN THE PAST.
If an entry point was found in this way could "disappear" while your money is still in a real trade... and you feel like an idiot... for this reason I prefer to avoid plug in that uses this kind of indicators.

Do more experienced user than me agree with this statement?

I hope to have well explained, you could find more info on the net, for example:

http://www.tradinganalysis.co.in/Amibroker_Help/afl/zig.html
Bisto  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:12:28 PM(UTC)
Bisto

I found the answer about the zig zag by myself here.

http://tacticaltrader.ca/faq2.htm

there are three systems in the add on:

Geometric Vector Systems. zig zag based

Time on Target Systems & Strategic Edge Trading Systems. : no zig zag based

the real problem is that you don't give any hope that it's good due to lack of profit

Baystreetboy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:49:53 PM(UTC)
Baystreetboy

Hello. I've found that his - the developer of Tactical Trader - his online presentation is almost impossible to follow. I would like to see the folks at Metastock take the material created by the various developers and standardize the presentations so that purchasers like you and I can actually get some benefit from these add-ons.

I'd love to know how the decision to offer these products is made.

Cheers!