logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorkBite  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:55:20 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Please post questions and comments about the new forum here!
jjstein  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:44:07 AM(UTC)
jjstein

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

PROBLEM LIST:

1. The RSS click-links in don't work anymore.

2. Where's the "Favorite topic/thread"? Mine appear to be gone!!!

3. Where's the "Notify on reply" option?

StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2006 11:29:52 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Hi jj-

Thanks for your questions! Let's see...

jjstein wrote:
The RSS click-links in don't work anymore.

I can't seem to find any RSS links that aren't working. Can you give me exact details and where to find the buttons that aren't working?

jjstein wrote:
Where's the "Favorite topic/thread"? Mine appear to be gone!!!

jjstein wrote:
And what the heck happened to the "Follow thread" and "Favorite thread" options?

http://forum.equis.com/forums/thread/19789.aspx

jjstein wrote:
Where's the "Notify on reply" option?

http://forum.equis.com/forums/thread/19792.aspx

jjstein  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 4, 2006 8:06:13 PM(UTC)
jjstein

1. Favorites: Absolutely ALL of my old "Favorite Posts" are GONE. Also, none of the links in older posts work, either.

2. RSS Links: None of them work. I use "My Yahoo", and the thread subjects show up on my home page, but when I click on them, I get "HTTP 404 - File not found".

--Johnathan

StorkBite  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 4, 2006 10:19:18 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

jjstein wrote:
Favorites: Absolutely ALL of my old "Favorite Posts" are GONE.

We sent multiple portal page notices and one email notice telling members to make a backup copy of anything from the old forum that you wanted to keep. No individual files were copied over: PM's, favorites, passwords, etc. The favorites section here is starting with a clean slate.

jjstein wrote:
Also, none of the links in older posts work, either.

The two database systems are completely different. There was no way to preserve the phpBB manner of numbering the threads in CS. The alternative to migrating the thread textbody would have been to not migrate them and start from scratch. So, this is not a problem that will ever be fixed. You'll need to search the new forum and make new references. I will start a thread to report broken links and will try to track them down as I get some spare time. If this becomes a list of 15,000 dead links I will lock the thread and stop my effort to help in this capacity.

jjstein wrote:
RSS Links: None of them work. I use "My Yahoo", and the thread subjects show up on my home page, but when I click on them, I get "HTTP 404 - File not found".

You seem to have ignored my previous request for additional, specific information. I cannot help you unless you explain the exact problem step by step from start to finish. Again, I have checked and double-checked the RSS links. The inbound links as well as the outbound links all seem to work fine. Perhaps MyYahoo is looking for a different format, I don't know. We are NOT using secure syndication at this time. Have you tried any other news readers or aggregate feed viewers? Google receives the outbound feed just fine as does NewsGator. Then again, maybe it's an Opera phantom too.

jjstein  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2006 11:07:45 AM(UTC)
jjstein

1. Favorites. OK, favorites doesn't work. And so I shouldn't expect it work for the next upgrade, either. So much for using the favorites function anymore.

2. Older post links: The problem is not MY links/bookmarks, but that a LOT of threads have references to others. You're telling me that ALL older posts with references in their answer are now USELESS.

These should have been requirements, like keeping a patient alive during surgery, they are not rocket science and certainly are possible. Should have hired a smarter programmer...or a better analyst.

3. RSS links: I'm just not getting your question. I've been using RSS for months, I just click the link and it takes me to the thread. Now, I get a "404". What more is there to say? The main ones I look at are: "Jose's Corner", "Metastock Formulae", "Metastock Tips and Tricks".

TWO NEW PROBLEMS:

4. The "remember me" function on sign-in, doesn't. At least, not overnight.

5. Sometimes, the PageUp/PageDown and Arrow keys don't work. Other IE windows are OK, as are other programs (Excel, Metastock, Word). I usually use the scrollmouse, but when I want the keyboard, those are the keys I use. Something is eating keystrokes...and only in the window open to the Equis Forum.

--Johnathan

StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2006 1:38:28 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Johnathan-

This is your first and last warning: List your negative feedback without the attitude or I will moderate your account. If you escalate to flaming members of the Forum Project, who have worked for months to give you a working forum, I will ban your account and IP addresses. I'm just not going to put up with it. Also, please search the forum for current issues before reposting the same concerns again. It's a rule.

The old forum was a dead horse. The hardware and the software were both beyond their serviceability. I received complaints every single day about something not working. The old server was horribly slower than our new state of the art server. Switching to the new .NET platform is a blessing. It will be much easier to maintain and develop solutions to meet our needs.

The common fabric of your complaints seems to be that certain phpBB features are not available in CS. You're right- they never will be. It wasn't an oversight. It's not about analyzing, programming, designing or anything else. CS is not phpBB and we are not trying to build a phpBB-simulation here. Hence, the phpBB Favorites and post Links will not work. Why should they? The old server is offline now! This is the same reason that the phpBB RSS links you are referring to no longer work.

Spend some time reading the online help regarding the features that CS offers. You will find that they are more powerful and much more flexible than phpBB. Try the features out... they all work fine; including, Favorites and RSS.

jjstein wrote:
The "remember me" function on sign-in, doesn't. At least, not overnight.

This has already been reported and verified as fixed. If you are still experiencing problems, clear your browser cache and cookies.

jjstein wrote:
the PageUp/PageDown and Arrow keys don't work

I'm not going to record a movie to prove it to you, but these keys and the mouse scroll feature both work fine too. I will, however, add this to our watch list in case I'm just special.

jjstein  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2006 5:11:53 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Keypad failure: Click the FAVORITES button, do NOT select anything from the drop down, then click on some text in a post. Your keypad keys will no longer work.

RSS Links. They've been on my "My Yahoo" home page for months. Since the new forum, they don't work. I can't make it any plainer than that, sorry. I'll remove them, then re-add and see what happens.

FWIW -- Put this idea on the back burner: If you get enough complaints on the "broken link" feature, instead of fixing "15,000 dead links", my suggestion is to generate a cross-reference and run a search & replace on textbody. I've done similar work on larger data stores than this; it's not that big a job.

If that's too much "attitude" for you, just say so, and I'll forward future customer "complaints" to my Metastock Sales Representive, rather than bring them up in the forum.

StorkBite  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2006 5:25:24 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Marilyn wrote:
Whoa there Nelly... I am a little bummed that the old forum is being branded as a dead horse. It was anything but...

Don't be bummed. The "dead horse" reference may have been poor judgement... it was, but I meant dead FEATURES not a dead concept. I'm talking about the lack of maintenance and non-working features... technical issues with phpBB and the lack of decent hardware only.

Marilyn wrote:
...completely due to the lack of insight into what makes a good forum and what does not.

Yes, sadly, content development has all but ceased and, community socialization is filled with turmoil surrounding the CS implementation.[:(]

StorkBite  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2006 5:42:39 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Thank you for submitting some details. The thing is that I cannot fix something if I don't understand it. If I'm dense, then you'll just have to break it down.

jjstein wrote:
Keypad failure: Click the FAVORITES button, do NOT select anything from the drop down, then click on some text in a post. Your keypad keys will no longer work.

This, I can duplicate. I'll see if I can find out more, but it seems to me that the focus is being stolen. For now, if you click on the vertical scrollbar on the right side of the screen, you can scroll again using the keys.

jjstein wrote:
RSS Links. They've been on my "My Yahoo" home page for months. Since the new forum, they don't work. I can't make it any plainer than that, sorry. I'll remove them, then re-add and see what happens.

The old RSS links will not work. They were broadcasting updates to the php forum. You can re-establish RSS feeds by using any of the RSS buttons found here on CS. If that still doesn't work for you, I'll need more details. Your browser type, OS, and step-by-step details of what you're doing.

jjstein wrote:
FWIW -- Put this idea on the back burner: If you get enough complaints on the "broken link" feature, instead of fixing "15,000 dead links", my suggestion is to generate a cross-reference and run a search & replace on textbody. I've done similar work on larger data stores than this; it's not that big a job.

I believe that we may be able to "trick" CS into taking you to the right place. This will require remapping post ID's in the database and creating a custom 404 error page redirect. A solution is being sought after, but no promises.

jjstein wrote:
If that's too much "attitude" for you, just say so, and I'll forward future customer "complaints" to my Metastock Sales Representive, rather than bring them up in the forum.

You are always welcome to forward any complaints directly to Equis.

Jose  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2006 9:15:00 PM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
G, here's another couple of problems: The unread posts function takes me back to read posts, and skips new ones. I hope this isn't a cookie thing, as I clean them out every day. The email notification header is too long - it clutters my inbox with message headers that are 4-5 lines deep. As for .NET applications, I've personally never had anything but grief from them. jose '-)
StorkBite  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2006 12:31:01 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Jose wrote:
The unread posts function takes me back to read posts, and skips new ones. I hope this isn't a cookie thing, as I clean them out every day.

I don't want to miss this problem, but not matter what I do, I can't duplicate it. Whenever I go to Unread Posts (http://forum.equis.com/forums/TopicsNotRead.aspx) and select the Mark All Read (all Forums), the the same page reloads and the screen updates to show that there are new unread messages left to view. No posts are skipped, it deletes them all. Can you confirm that you still have the problem if you login using IE or FF?

Jose wrote:
The email notification header is too long - it clutters my inbox with message headers that are 4-5 lines deep.

This is something that I can change for sure. In fact, there are several server email messages that need to be reformatted. If you get any other weirdly formatted emails, please let me know. I'll fix this shortly. Of course, this might throw off any email rule handling that you may have in place. Make sure you check on that if needed.

Jose  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2006 2:11:42 PM(UTC)
Jose

Thanks, G. The "Mark All Read" button works fine now. jose '-)
StorkBite  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2006 9:14:49 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Whew... every little bit counts. Right? [sn]
thanks 1 user thanked StorkBite for this useful post.
teenagedream on 11/30/2020(UTC)
Jose  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2006 11:49:09 PM(UTC)
Jose

G, every small fix delays the inevitable... I have the same feeling now about this forum platform, as I had when Netscape released their doomed v6 browser. jose '-)