logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonRoberts  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:17:10 PM(UTC)
JonRoberts

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I have recently decided to clean up my security files to delete those that I no longer follow. After doing so, a few of my layouts now display a "Security not found" error when I open them, though each of the charts in the layout displays properly and with the correct securities. For instance, I have a layout of daily, weekly, and monthty charts of NDX with various technical analyses included. When I open that layout, all of the NDX charts and all of the technical indicators display properly, however, I now get the error message. With the security and all technical indicators displaying properly in each chart, I can only conclude that at some time in the past I may have set up the layout to display a second security (though since told it NOT to display that security) and now that I've deleted all of my unused securities, the layout still points to that unused security that has now been deleted. My question is, is there a way I can look at the "insides" of a layout to see what securities it may be pointing to and then modify the layout to remove that security? I really don't want to have to create a new layout and copy over the old one, as then I'd have to go back and redraw all of my trendlines, Fibnodes, etc. Thanks much! Jon Roberts
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 6:51:51 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jon.... it can be a indicator that included or was calculated from the now missing symbol.... by that i mean, some of my 'csco' layouts will have the will have the macd, stoch, rsi and such of the nasdaq overlaid on top of the 'csco' macd, stoch, rsi and such... deleting the nasdaq symbol from my local data folder will give the error your incurring.... renaming your local data folders can have the same effect.... also if you've used the security function that contained the now deleted symbol will return the error.... as will if you've had two price charts overlaid and deleted the non base symbol.... it could also be a missing security used in an attached expert..... copy and paste this address in any browser and click go/enter...... C:\\Program Files\\Equis\\MetaStock\\Charts ..... change the drive letter if something other than c is used..... right click on the layout, open with note pad..... h
JonRoberts  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:40:00 PM(UTC)
JonRoberts

Thanks for the quick reply, hayseed. I had no idea that a layout file could be opened in Notepad. :eek: I opened the problem layout in Notepad and got the usual gobble[censored]ok that one gets when the text file reader can't properly convert the file. By that, I mean this kind of garbage: [code:1:b96885672e][color=red][MetaStock for Windows*VL] +  2 € 2„ € 2 € 2„ € 2 @ 2D  ÐÏࡱá >  þÿ     þÿÿÿ þÿÿÿ  ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿR o o t E n t r y   ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ €æ¢]ùÎ¥; ª _GÀ °^7©v®Æþÿÿÿ C o n t e n t s  ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ $ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ þÿÿÿýÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ          ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ  ÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ # ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿR o o t E n t r y   ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ €æ¢]ùÎ¥; ª _GÀ `nõx®Æþÿÿÿ C o n t e n t s  ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ  $ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþÿÿÿýÿÿÿ     ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ   ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿ! ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" þÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ[MetaStock for Windows*VL] + ™™¹? ð? à?       ÿÿÿ  € ø¿ ø? ™™¹? ð? à?       ÿÿÿ  € ø¿ ø? ™™¹? ð? à?       ÿÿÿ  € ø¿ ø? ™™¹? ð? à?       ÿÿÿ   ÿÿ CSecurity @²ö ÿÿ  CGPenÿ    ÿÿ CMswinObList ÿÿ CTextStudyÓ¿ÿÚÎÿP°ö € ÿ  Arial[/color] [/code:1:b96885672e] Anyway, you get the idea. I'm using MetaStock EOD 9.0. Don't know if that matters or not. I may just go back and reload the deleted securities from a back up and delete them one at a time until I find the one that is messing up the layout, then figure out where it is that the layout is calling for the security. But, I'm also willing to try any other suggestions you may have, as that's a rather tedious process. Fortunately, it's only doing it on two layouts, not all of them! Jon
hayseed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:48:00 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jon.... puting back the securitys might be a good route to take.... the meta version should have no impact in the notepad doc.... at first glance the gobbledegyyyyk looks daunting, however if you look close you'll see the missing symbols entire folder path .... it should stand out as its so different..... below is how it looks...... you can see my C:\\MetaStock Data\\bearfunds\\spy is part of the layout ..... short of rewritting the offending indicator or recreating the layouts, replacing the securities and deleting a few at a time as you mentioned might be best..... h UserPostedImage
JonRoberts  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 12:25:02 AM(UTC)
JonRoberts

Thanks much, hayseed! I was able to narrow it down to the offending security and so deleted all of the others. Of course, it's no big deal to leave the security in place to prevent the error. But, it would be nice if there was a way to go in and figure out why the layout is pointing to that security and then delete whatever command it's using to make a call to the security. None of the indicators I use make a call to an outside security, so they always work off the base security. Looks like this is another fine mess I've gotten myself in to!! :oops: But seriously, I do appreciate your suggestions! As always, whenever I've had trouble with MetaStock or had a question about how to code a custom indicator, this forum has always come through for me! This is a great forum and I appreciate all of the help from everyone who have answered my posts! Jon
hayseed  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 1:56:29 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jon.... couple additional thoughts.... when i overlay the stoch of the nasdaq onto the stoch of csco there will be two stoch values listed on the title bar.... are there always only one value per indicator on your layout?.... sometimes only one plot will be seen cause i'll use the invisible option or have the color set same as the background for the other..... also, could you perhaps have another chart of the now unmissing security either mimized or in the background and unseen.... sometimes when saving changes to my layouts i'll forget there are other charts unseen.... as a long shot try opening only the layout , nothing else, and then try to create a new layout..... use the file -> new -> layout route.... that should list all open charts, is the offending symbol listed..... still seems it might be a indicator, esp if you create your own .... good luck with it....h