logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patrick  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:02:37 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well Here is what I did, it will will in the downloads section ... Here is the DLL file, rename the file for JWWILDER.[censored] to JWWILDER.dll Then copy it in Drive:\\PROGRAM FILES\\Equis\\MetaStock\\External Function Dlls The way this dll was programmed is that it calculates a SAR based on an data array of your choice and a limit value of your choice. I did not want to limit it to what was in the book. The syntax is: ExtFml( "JWWILDER.CSAR", Data Array, Limit Move) For example you could check the standard SAR, compare the built in indicator Parabolic SAR with a maximum .2 To the following indicator: ExtFml( "JWWILDER.CSAR", Close, .2) You will see that they are almost the same ( The difference lies in the fact the MetaStock SAR uses High and Low Values whereas the dll only uses one data array, in this case only the close value) Anyways to recreate the System with the accumulation swing index you will need to write the following formulae: For an indicator use : ExtFml( "JWWILDER.CSAR", ASwing(5), 60) { Wilders uses a 60 point Trailing stop in the book, 5 is the Limit move for the swing index, and you can replace that by any value you want } For A buy signal use: AccSwingValue:= ASwing(5); SARValue:=ExtFml( "JWWILDER.CSAR", AccSwingValue, 60); Cross(AccSwingValue, SARValue) For a sell signal use : AccSwingValue:= ASwing(5); SARValue:=ExtFml( "JWWILDER.CSAR", AccSwingValue, 60); Cross( SARValue, AccSwingValue) Hope this helps, Patrick :mrgreen:
crwinnr5  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:58:11 PM(UTC)
crwinnr5

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Should there be an attachment? I cannot locate the file to download. Thanks, Charley
Patrick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:02:57 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Sorry it is in the Downloads section, right here : http://forum.equis.com/drm_main.php?mode=drm_cat_view&cat=8
crwinnr5  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:52:19 AM(UTC)
crwinnr5

Patrick, I need some help on this one - with this code ExtFml( "JWWILDER.CSAR", Close, .2) I do get close to the SAR. But when I use your code for the ASwing Indicator I get a number around 2550 applied on the NDX which closed around 1585 today. I tried changing some of the variables but I am not getting anything close to what I expected. Maybe you can shed some light for me. By the way, I had to change the name of the dll file that the self extracting file generated (i.e. JWWILDER_43.dll) to JWWILDER.dll to get it to work. Thanks again, Charley
Patrick  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:58:45 AM(UTC)
Patrick

[quote=JWWILDER.CSAR",RSI(14), 1) this will only have any significance if scaled in the same window as the rsi(14) indicator ... Hope this makes sense. Patrick :mrgreen:
Patrick  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:53:09 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Any comments on this? Has anyone played with it?
crwinnr5  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:07:59 PM(UTC)
crwinnr5

Hi Patrick, I changed some variables related to the SAR portion and was able to get quicker signals (about 3 periods) than the standard SAR. However, like the standard SAR it doesn't appear the ExtFml SAR can be used as a trading system - good exit points though. The buy and sell formulas generated pretty good signals but were not real consistant when compared to hindsight MACD Peak/Trough signals. I need to try different variables to see if any change occurs. I am still having difficulty understanding the Accumulation Swing Index and need to further review Wilder on this. I know he used extreme points but the values I get doesn't seem to relate to the extreme points I can manually observe looking back over the data. As I posted before the ASwing is giving me a value of 2550 compared to the current NDX of arround 1580 ( the exterme point the way I figure it should be somewhere around 1628). I just have to do more research on this. Thanks, Charley OK - I see that Wilder says that the 60 points are NOT in terms of the PRICE. pp. 97 New Concepts in Techinical Trading. I now understand no relation to price. Now I can work on the variables so the sgnals are optimized for the NDX. Later, Charley
Jose  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2005 12:13:26 AM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Patrick wrote:
Any comments on this? Has anyone played with it?
How about ExtFml("WilderSAR.CSAR", Data Array, Step, Maximum) with variable Step/Max inputs? jose '-)
Patrick  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2005 1:36:07 AM(UTC)
Patrick

That's a 30 minute thing ... I guess I will just add this function to the next ForumDll version ... I don't see the need to have a separate dll. Maybe that will get some people to upgrade to 9.0 :twisted:
Jose  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2005 2:17:24 AM(UTC)
Jose

Patrick wrote:
Maybe that will get some people to upgrade to 9.0 :twisted:
The day that MetaStock v9.1+ can export formulae in backward-compatible mode with my clients' v8.0/8.01 versions, will be the day that I upgrade from MS v8.01. ;) jose '-)
Patrick  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2005 4:26:35 AM(UTC)
Patrick

WilderSAR.CSAR", Data Array, Step, Maximum) with variable Step/Max inputs?[/quote wrote:
Done ... Except that it is part of the forumdll now : ExtFml("ForumDll.CSAR", Data Array, Step, Maximum) with variable Step/Max inputs ... I will post this dll as a beta sometime this week end, both for 8.0 and 9.0 in the beta downloads section. Patrick :mrgreen:
Jose  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:14:32 AM(UTC)
Jose

Good work, Patrick. Say, does the ForumDll v8.0 work with MS v9.0+ as well? jose '-)
Patrick  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:36:45 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Quote:
Say, does the ForumDll v8.0 work with MS v9.0+ as well?
Well ... I don't know for sure, never tested it :goofy: :oops: Just tested the beta 8.0 that's in the download section right now and it works on my Meta 9.1 ... But It might be because I have all the dev kit stuff installed on my machine ... Maybe someone else should test it ... Patrick :mrgreen:
chheda  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:37:30 PM(UTC)
chheda

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hi Patrick , In normal calculation Wilder's SAR start calculation from Swing High / low . Is it possible to add one more variable in your dll , so we can start SAR calculation from other point . for example Ref(Low,-1) / Ref(High,-1) or LLV(L,3) / HHV(High,3) ect. May be Dll look like this with this variable..... ExtFml("WilderSAR.CSAR", Data Array,Start Point Buy entry function,Start Point Sell entry function, Step, Maximum) Regards Harish Chheda
Patrick  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 4:38:29 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Quote:
Is it possible to add one more variable in your dll , so we can start SAR calculation from other point .
I could create the function for you if you want but I think it would be too difficult and too confusing to change the current version. Remind me about this in a few weeks if you still want it :D Patrick :mgreen:
minnamor  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:06:52 AM(UTC)
minnamor

I would have the following quesions for the author of this indicator: a) your indicator comes close to Meyer's Analytics' "Five Parameter Parabolic Noise Filter System" add-on; wouldyou recommend using optimization to find the most appropriate parameters? b) if I understand previous posts correctly, the customizable SAR can be used in place of signal lines in indicators; is this a use you would recommend? If so, is there a guideline on the selections of parameters or would one rely on optimization alone? Thanks for helping us to improve our trading.
Patrick  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:17:50 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Originally Posted by: Five Parameter Parabolic Noise Filter System" add-on Go to Quoted Post
:eek: I have no idea what that is :D And I usually do not recommend optimization ...
Quote:
b) if I understand previous posts correctly, the customizable SAR can be used in place of signal lines in indicators; is this a use you would recommend? If so, is there a guideline on the selections of parameters or would one rely on optimization alone?
.... :| ... I did not think about that, I guess it could be used to replace the classic moving average signal line ... It is a very good idea I would try it out. Ultimately you can use this however you want, it was originally meant to recreate a system and I went a little further by making the function a little more flexible ... As far as the selection parameter I would do a quick optimization, nothing huge, to get an idea. Maybe try it on standard tools, like an macd system .... Like an MACD SAR HISTOGRAM :D you know I'm using that somewhere g don't you :D Anyways play with it and let me know how it goes, very good suggestion :D Patrick :mrgreen
Jose  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:09:25 PM(UTC)
Jose

Patrick, are these two plots supposed to be identical? ExtFml("Forum.CSAR",C,.02,.2); SAR(.02,.2); jose '-)
Patrick  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:12:13 PM(UTC)
Patrick

No because the standard SAR uses high and low values ... The custom function in your case only uses the close, so it should look very similar but not exactly the same. Patrick :mrgreen:
Jose  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:19:55 PM(UTC)
Jose

Patrick wrote:
The custom function in your case only uses the close, so it should look very similar but not exactly the same.
The two plots look absolutely nothing like each other (MS Pro v8.01) - I think there is something wrong with that function. jose '-)