logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Evan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2005 8:19:12 PM(UTC)
Evan

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I recently purchased MS9.1, and am using TC2000 for my current data feed. The data disc that came with the software includes folders for both the Nasdaq 100 and S&P-500, however I'm looking for the other index components as well (SP100, 400, 600, DJI, DJT, etc.) similarly to what TC2000 offers. I can export the various watchlists from TC2000 and use the downloader to convert them; but that's very time consuming. I'm considering switching to Reuters Datalink but I'd like to know if that data feed contains the index component lists. Can anyone answer that? Thanks, Evan
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2005 3:16:03 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Evan, Sorry for not replying earlier, I though hayseed would get that one ... (just teasing hayseed ;) :D ) I would love to tell that it is easy to keep up with many Index components, etc ... But the truth is that while it may not be that tough, I doubt it is as easy as TC2000. Now here is a link to equis's website were they post custom list that are not present already withing the software. https://www.metastock.co...rt/Download/Symbols.aspx You will the nasdap 100 list there. Th software has most other S&P and Dow Jones stuff. Now let's say you can't find a list you want ... You can create it easily with a text file and import it into MetaStock. I hope this answers your question. Patrick :mrgreen:
hayseed  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2005 3:46:08 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey patrick/evan..... by coincidence i was waiting on you, really was not 100% sure of reuters entire symbol catalog.... i had once started creating all of those lists, but can't remember where i put them..... my thoughts were to post them in a self executing file and also as word doc as the downloader suggests.... both with very descriptive but odd names to avoid name issues with any files already in meta.... file names could then be changed to suit.... evan, if you could list those you were interested in, we could build such data bases..... sounds like a very worthwhile project to finish.....h
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2005 3:53:06 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Well Wabbit was talking about a CVS so I'm kinda looking for a solution to upload download files and keep projects together instead of a post lost in the middle of the forum ... But I do agree that there already are tons of custom symbols lists all over the web and we should try to combine them and keep them in one place ... Anyways back to work :D Patrick :mrgreen:
Evan  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2005 9:04:53 PM(UTC)
Evan

Thanks for the pointers. It was fairly easy to find the appropriate lists of symbols online...you can get the definitive lists from standardandpoors.com. The difficulty that I'm still encountering is that it appears, from the manual, that you can only really use custom symbol lists in the downloader via the online data vendor shortcut or from the "new security" dialog in MS. Since I don't use the online data vendor mechanism in the downloader, I'm not sure how to effectively utilize custom symbol lists. Do you have any other pointers in this area? Thanks, -- Evan
Patrick  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2005 3:53:25 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Quote:
Since I don't use the online data vendor mechanism in the downloader
So you are downloading data from another provider than one recommened by equis? If the answer is yes, my bet is that the provider you use: A) looks for MetaStock data files and updates them in which case import your sym file and just create your securties using the downlaoder and point the updating software to the right path B) It creates its own file lists, etc ... In which case you shoudl be asking them how to maintain lists ... Hope this helps. Patrick :mrgreen:
Evan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:11:31 PM(UTC)
Evan

Patrick (and hayseed), Thanks for the insights.....in the end I decided to just cough up the money for the additional data feed from Reuters. But I do appreciate the help. -- Evan