logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patrick  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 11:18:40 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Alright, without telling my life story :roll: I love to start working on weird projects, I always have a few going on at the same time ... ( And I even complete them :shock: ) Anyways I was thinking of creating my own portfolio manager program , that would read metastock data directly from your local folders. I have though of what I would expect a portfolio manager to do for me, but I was wondering if some of you could tell me what they expect out of a portfolio manager. I will send the software ( If I complete it :P ) to anyone who gives me suggestions ... Thanks for your help.
vvad63  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2005 5:28:01 PM(UTC)
vvad63

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi Patrick, I appreciate your hard work and devotion to this forum and I would like to take you up on your offer to develop a portfolio manager. I tried to develop a simple portfolio manager in EXCEL awhile ago, but gave up in frustration. By "simple", I mean the program should contain, at a minimum, the following data fields: Open position Date, Close position Date, Symbol, Position (Long or Short), open fill price, close fill price, shares, amount gain or loss, % gain or loss. It would be nice to be able to track closed performance by week, month, and year. Another "bonus field" would be the ability to link a text file for comments and a chart at the opening of the trade and the closing of the trade, maybe via an HTML save in metastock? The program doesn't have to be dynamic as far as tracking open positions, I use Medved QuoteTracker for that (excellent product, by the way). I just need more of a trade log that keeps track of closed trades and allows the ability to provide historical feedback of my trading results over time. I have yet to find anything prepackaged that can do that. Most everything out there is way over complicated! Thanks for your efforts, and let me know if you need more info or would like other suggestions. -Alex
Patrick  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2005 3:54:31 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Thank you Alex, you have already pointed things I did not think about at all. What do you think about automatically downloading data from your broker. I guess I should ask wether or not most brokers allow transactions to be downloaded in a text or csv file. (At least the entry and exit dates, prices and symbol) Or is it not relevant since there are only few transactions to be entered everyday ? Thanks again for your suggestions, I appreciate it.
didier  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2005 7:50:56 PM(UTC)
didier

Hello Patrick ! I am not sure to understand what you mean with "portfolio manager program". Do you want to create a program that follows your open trades and informs you about your performance, or something more sophisticated that helps you to follow the performance of a portfolio against a benchmark ? In the first case, I would like to see something about the number of winning and loosing trades in a row, the average gain and loss, etc. -> basically, the items included in Metastock reports. You could maybe try to include also the Value At Risk, but this would suppose to test first the normality of the returns of the portfolio. In the second case, it is much more complicated because a portfolio manager usually monitors its portfolio in terms of beta, standard deviation and tracking error against its benchmark in order to get some idea about the risk adjusted return. The trouble is then to build and update the correlation matrice between stocks (assuming you are only interested in stocks) to be able to get the quantitative risk measures. If this is the way you want to go, I can provide you with some screenshots of existing softwares. Didier By the way, as I just returned, I was not able to start building my trading system with the piece of code you nicely wrote for me, but I won't forget to keep you in touch.
Patrick  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2005 8:41:08 PM(UTC)
Patrick

I was thinking of something simple ( first case ), but who knows :)
Quote:
You could maybe try to include also the Value At Risk
What is that ???? :oops:
Quote:
I can provide you with some screenshots of existing softwares.
I would be interrested to see these whenever you have time for it. Thanks
vvad63  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 3:34:51 AM(UTC)
vvad63

Hi Patrick, [quote=portfolio tracker" with an integrated "trade log". [quote=risk" field. Add to that a "Reward" projection price and you could calculate a simple Risk/Reward ratio for the trade. Well, if you do start this project remember the "K I S S" principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid! :) -Alex
Patrick  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 5:00:16 AM(UTC)
Patrick

:lol: I like this principle
didier  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 7:55:19 AM(UTC)
didier

Hi ! Patrick, if you want to keep it simple : forget what I wrote ! At least, what I described under the second case. But for your culture, you will find attached something about the Value At Risk and the screenshots from one quantitative tool from Citigroup. The heart of the system lies on a risk model and a huge database.
didier  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 7:56:28 AM(UTC)
didier

Screenshot 1
didier  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 7:57:07 AM(UTC)
didier

Screenshot 2
Patrick  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2005 2:50:40 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Thanks for the screenshots. Damn these are some sophisticated programs you have there :wink: I will start with the easy stuff ( :roll: ) and then depending on how "easy" it was I will take a look at what you gave me. I'm hoping to start in a few weeks .... But please keep the suggestions comming :)
StorkBite  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 5:34:58 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
What's the status, P? Did you ditch this project or are you looking for a VC to get you started? LOL! :D
Patrick  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 5:36:39 PM(UTC)
Patrick

What is a VC? I did not ditch it, I'm just to busy doing other things ... Plus Equis does not pay me enough for me to do that kinda stuff for them :oops: :D
StorkBite  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 5:50:40 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
VC- venture capitalist Yea, you have to do it for yourself, not for Equis. Just make it compatible with Equis products and program it on Equis time... :smt045
Patrick  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 5:53:36 PM(UTC)
Patrick

I'm already taking care of the forum on Equis's time :lol: 8-[ but it is a very good suggestion I will run it by my manager :D
gldr  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 4:46:33 PM(UTC)
gldr

A few suggestions for the portfolio manager - handle all kind of securities, options, bonds, etc - real time price update - equity graph - Gain/loss over a specific period - keep track of old (closed) investments, dividends (cash and stock), cash, interest, splits, etc - grouping by market, sort of security, industry - showing positions in a graph when this graph is opened in MS - Have several portefolios and be able to group these - keep track of tranaction and bank cost - set limits and alarms on specific movements or prices of securities in the portfolio just a few to start with.. Best regards,
Patrick  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:43:36 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Thanks for the ideas. Patrick :mrgreen: