logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
minnamor  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:08:16 AM(UTC)
minnamor

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I have been unable to figure out the best way to handle the problem of defining Entry prices in the System Tester. I would like to enter longs only if the price exceeds the high on the signal day, and vice versa for longs. This avoids many a bad trade without a loss. I have tried several alternatives such as: a) in the formula section at the end: "setup:= <entry condition>; H>ValueWhen(1,setup,H)"; or the event of an extention of the alert for few days: "Alert(Setup,n) and H>ValueWhen(1,setup,H)"; b) formula written to have signal on the last bar; set the order type to Stop Limit; click the italics f to the right of the space for the Limit or Stop Price; in the window that appears, enter the following formula: "setup:=<entry condition>; ValueWhen(1,setup,H). I am really confused about the above and which solution is OK, if any. My confusion is compounded by the need to specify an entry price in the "System Testing Options" window in the "Trade Price" section. Unfortunately the manual was of no help to me and would really appreciate if somebody could provide a clear and simple explanation of the rules to follow. Many thanks in advanceand best regards.
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2005 4:51:34 AM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey minnamor.... you might try something along this line, it might not be the shortest route to town but seems to get there....... patrick or wabbit likely could save some steps......h minsetup {a indicator}
Cross(Mov(C,10,S),Mov(C,20,S))
minhigh {a indicator}
ValueWhen(1,Fml("minsetup"),H)
h>minhigh {a indicator}
H>Fml("minhigh")
buy order { in system tester}
h>fml("minhigh") and Mov(C,10,S)>Mov(C,20,S) ---------------------------------------------
minnamor  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2005 10:05:13 AM(UTC)
minnamor

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

That is along the way I was thinking but the doubt remains whether the formulae overrule the selections madein "System Testing Options" -"Trade Price" section or not. Hopefully, someone knows the answer. Thanks
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2005 11:13:42 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I have only had a quick look at yhe original post and did not immediately see any problems, but I was aked a similar questionon another forum. The answer I provided seemed to do the trick, and might help in this instance? The URL is: http://www.paritech.com....=get_topic;f=15;t=000201 If this doent help, just ask for more assistance. I will also have a closer look at the problem when next I get a little more time. wabbit :D
Gerrit  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2005 1:34:14 PM(UTC)
Gerrit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi minnamor Just another option that might work. I have been looking at how to get tests with prices other than Open or close, and the only way I found so far was to use stops/limits. Your example on the surface looks like it could work like this: - on the buy tab code your entry condition (just the bit that says this is the bar who's high I want to use, do not code the bit that tests if price now > than the high). - in the Order Type down the bottom select 'Stop'. - enter H in the 'Limit or Stop Price' - make the expiration Good Until Cancelled This should set a stop buy for when the price goes above the high you identified on subsequent bars. I'm still trying to get to more realistic trades (other than using open or close) but so far this helps a little bit. Gerrit