logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vector  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2005 1:15:46 AM(UTC)
Vector

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I used Omnitrader for about 3 months. I noticed that the program "Optimized" the trades. It would trigger a buy signal for a symbol, for say Jan 15, then if the stock price went up slightly the program would "optimize" the trade by going back to Jan 11 and show that the buy signal occured at a lower price on the 11th and not the 15th! I asked the people at Omnitrader if I could call my broker and get the lower price of 4 days ago, well Omnitrader does it, can my broker do it also? I am getting my $295 back from Omnitrader in two weeks, enough said. My question is this: Does Metastock "Optimize" trades also? Or is it honest?
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2005 2:50:39 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Vector, MetaStock itself does not "optimize" results. Some plug ins or add-ons for metaStock might ... ( Just stay away from plug ins that seem to good to be true ... ) What was the saying ... "If it looks to good to be true, it ain't" or something like that :wink: I don't know if Omnitrader is a black box system but metastock is not just one strategy, MetaStock is more like a platform to the old standard tools and the start to any strategy you can come up with ... Hopefully someone else can add more info about MetaStock Versus Omnitrader :)
henry1224  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:00:22 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lets get a few things out front about trading, we all trade or invest for one thing, MONEY. when it comes to money , the two emotions that affect us is FEAR and GREED. Now comes the hard part, YOU HAVE TO WORK FOR IT! Everybody wants the easy way out, JUST FORK OVER THE MONEY. So you buy a software package that shows fantastic EQUITY CURVES. In a few short weeks or months, I'll be on EASY STREET. Unfortunately, you do not spend the time to do the research to follow up on the software and this great system. All software developers have to make great claims of Equity Curves that shoot through the roof. Otherwise you wouldn't buy it! How those profits were derived is a guess. Do they take a trade from the highs and lows, Peaks and Troughs, Zig Zag, trade the close of the signal bar or the open of the signal bar? SYSTEM TESTING A SYSTEM SHOULD BE WYSIWYG ! What you see is what you get, no suprises! APPLES TO APPLES,ORANGES TO ORANGES In Metastock, you can create an expert for this system, but now when you want to test it, Metastock gives you plenty of tricks to puff up those EQUITY CURVES with the SIMULATION FUNCTION that only work in the SYSTEM TESTER. SIMULATION FUNCTIONS DO NOT WORK IN EXPERTS OR EXPLORATIONS! It is ludicrous to give yourself false hope when trading. You have to deal with the TRUTH, the hard cold facts, no gimmicks! Set RULES AND STICK TO THEM, MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE STOPS! STOP DREAMING ABOUT THE EQUITY CURVES
klburris  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:26:16 PM(UTC)
klburris

Regarding re-optimization -- Some indicators will re-optimize, causing an attached expert, based on those indicators, to drop or change signals siganls. This does not happen often, but often enough that, for intra day trading, it causes a certain 'pucker factor' :) Chose your indicators carefully and develope confidence in them. I also used to use Omnitrader and stopped using it for several reasons, including the re-optimization issue. This 'feature' could be 'de-tuned' but it required far too much finagling (is that a word?) for me. -- Keith
henry1224  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:10:16 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Highlights long A:=RSI(18)=Trough(1,RSI(18),14); B:=RSI(18)=Peak(1,RSI(18),14); State:=If(BarsSince(A)<BarsSince(B),1,0); State=1 Short A:=RSI(18)=Trough(1,RSI(18),14); B:=RSI(18)=Peak(1,RSI(18),14); State:=If(BarsSince(A)<BarsSince(B),1,0); State=0 Symbols Long entry A:=RSI(18)=Trough(1,RSI(18),14); B:=RSI(18)=Peak(1,RSI(18),14); State:=If(BarsSince(A)<BarsSince(B),1,0); State>Ref(State,-1) Short entry A:=RSI(18)=Trough(1,RSI(18),14); B:=RSI(18)=Peak(1,RSI(18),14); State:=If(BarsSince(A)<BarsSince(B),1,0); State<Ref(State,-1) DO NOT EVEN THINK OF TRADING THIS SYSTEM Try and figure it out?
klburris  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:43:07 PM(UTC)
klburris

Wow ---- Now, if there were just some way to keep that damn indicator from changing... Or better yet -- Does anyone know a broker willing to trade these signals for us?? :)))
henry1224  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 12:04:15 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Now if I were dishonest, I could password protect this system and sell it as a black box system. Please no hint's!!!
klburris  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:49:58 AM(UTC)
klburris

Henry: Now if one where to ask you for a hint, what trading system do you like? Besides the Holy Grail, of course :) -- Keith
henry1224  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2005 12:04:00 AM(UTC)
henry1224

I posted this expert to show how easy it is to create misleading systems. The use of Peak and trough functions are dynamic and the last leg of the swing will change , thus making this type of system useless! I repeat DO NOT TRADE THIS SYSTEM!!! As for my favorite system, I use a 3 bar net system which I have not posted on this forum.
StorkBite  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2005 5:02:24 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Quote:
As for my favorite system, I use a 3 bar net system which I have not posted on this forum.
I'm interested! :D Is your ROI good?
klburris  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2005 5:38:59 PM(UTC)
klburris

Henry - Are you willing to post your system either publicly or privately? -- Keith