logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billrobpv  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2022 9:54:43 PM(UTC)
billrobpv

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

This a either a product suggestion or a request for technical support for Downloader.

I follow Barry Taylor (enmini-watch.com).  He uses TradeStation data/charts for intra day trading.

1. One indicator is “Better ProAm” and he displays "professionals” as blue tick bars (large volume/trade) and “amateurs” as yellow tick bars (small volume/trade).
  2. Another indicator is “Better Momentum” based on “Volume at the bid price”, and “Volume at the ask price”’

Apparently this data is available in the TradeStation feed.  Please tell me if they are available in the Metastock feed (either intra-day or EOD) or if they could be added.  Thank you.  Bill Roberts

thanks 1 user thanked billrobpv for this useful post.
MS Support on 4/21/2022(UTC)
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 4:37:15 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billrobpv Go to Quoted Post

This a either a product suggestion or a request for technical support for Downloader.

I follow Barry Taylor (enmini-watch.com).  He uses TradeStation data/charts for intra day trading.

1. One indicator is “Better ProAm” and he displays "professionals” as blue tick bars (large volume/trade) and “amateurs” as yellow tick bars (small volume/trade).
  2. Another indicator is “Better Momentum” based on “Volume at the bid price”, and “Volume at the ask price”’

Apparently this data is available in the TradeStation feed.  Please tell me if they are available in the Metastock feed (either intra-day or EOD) or if they could be added.  Thank you.  Bill Roberts

Hi,

MetaStock's Downloader is for End-of-Day only. Our DataLink (End-of-Day) data feed would not have anything like this, as it simply provides a single volume value for the day.

In our XENITH (Intraday) data feed, you can get tick volume and you can also create "Tick Bars" that will sum up the volume for each tick bar in a chart. However, you have to actually load the chart as tick bars in order to capture the volume data in this way. The MetaStock formula language does not have a parameter for the time interval, it simply calculates based on what is in the chart.

I do not know much about the system in question, but in theory you could write the formula based on a number of tick bars and divide the volume into the number of ticks to get an average trade volume per tick bar (i.e. if you're looking at a 50 Tick bar chart your formula would essentially be):

Code:
V/50

You could make it a bit more dynamic using the Input function so that you could adjust the formula more easily based on the Tick Bar number of your choosing. This formula would be limited to chart indicators, as we do not support using Tick Data in our Explorer (scanning) or System Test power tools.

In a Chart, you can also "Change Field" in MetaStock RT and view Bid/Ask data (including the volume) but there are limitations to this as well.

In the future we are looking to expand the MetaStock formula language to be able to utilize different data fields (i.e. not just Open/High/Low/Close/Volume/Open Interest) but I will make sure to pass along your feedback!

billrobpv  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2022 6:44:25 PM(UTC)
billrobpv

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks much for the response. I think some data (such as volume@bid and volume@ask) in EOD data offer some interesting options for new technical analysis, but I have no idea how much it complicates the data feed. I would be pleased to run beta tests if Metastock considers new data options. Thanks again. Bill Roberts