logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dragnob59  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 5:40:19 AM(UTC)
Dragnob59

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

To overwrite or not!

Maybe a newby question, this has happened with every upgrade I've done in the last 10 years and am curious about it.  When the migration utility is run it finds there are files existing in the destination folder (new installation), does it make a difference if the older files overwrite the newer ones? 

The names and descriptions look like they are the same and I normally do the overwrite.  Upgrading to 17RT and cancelled it figuring I could run the utility later. 

Thanks,

Jerry

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 3:37:29 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dragnob59 Go to Quoted Post

To overwrite or not!

Maybe a newby question, this has happened with every upgrade I've done in the last 10 years and am curious about it.  When the migration utility is run it finds there are files existing in the destination folder (new installation), does it make a difference if the older files overwrite the newer ones? 

The names and descriptions look like they are the same and I normally do the overwrite.  Upgrading to 17RT and cancelled it figuring I could run the utility later. 

Thanks,

Jerry

Hello and thank you for the question!

If you had made changes to any of the built-in formulas, running the MMU and choosing to Overwrite ensures that you will keep those changes, in addition to bringing in any custom formulas you may have created.

We typically do not change the old formulas. In rare cases, we have renamed old formulas (in which case no overwriting occurs since they have different names).

If for any reason you want to get clean copies of the built-in formulas (after running the MMU for example), it is possible to manually run the Formula Organizer and import these clean copies from the program's installation folder, but unless you made changes that you want to get rid of this is not necessary.