logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrisdr22  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 6:20:25 AM(UTC)
chrisdr22

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Hello,

I subscribe to US/CA region + world indices EOD and download the data daily to MS Local files.  I wish to create a custom local list comprising of the Russell 2000 index, based on a symbol name list that I have for the index.

As far as I can see, I can only cut and paste the symbols into a custom online list - that seems to work, but its very slow for explorations.

Is there any way to import the symbol names into a local list and have them point to the downloaded local data?

Thanks

Christopher

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 4:14:42 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrisdr22 Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

I subscribe to US/CA region + world indices EOD and download the data daily to MS Local files.  I wish to create a custom local list comprising of the Russell 2000 index, based on a symbol name list that I have for the index.

As far as I can see, I can only cut and paste the symbols into a custom online list - that seems to work, but its very slow for explorations.

Is there any way to import the symbol names into a local list and have them point to the downloaded local data?

Thanks

Christopher

Hello,

You are not able to paste in instrument/company names and have MetaStock determine a symbol, but you can paste symbols into an Online List, and then create new local securities using that Online List in DownLoader.

When you have a folder set up for local data creation, you can right-click on the folder in DownLoader, choose Create New Security, and select the "Multiple Selections" check-box and click Lookup to access the list.

I'm not sure that is quite what you're looking for as it sounds like you want this list to locate existing local data files, not create new ones. Something like a Find in DownLoader based on a list of instruments?

Edited by user Monday, August 20, 2018 4:16:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
chrisdr22 on 8/20/2018(UTC)
chrisdr22  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 10:30:19 PM(UTC)
chrisdr22

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Yes, I was hoping that MetaStock could locate the symbols from the already downloaded local data files. 

Your option does the job - downloading as I type.  The only downside is that some symbols will now be downloaded twice.  Hopefully, it won't add too many minutes to the daily update.

Thanks a lot for the tip!