logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sunman4008  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:26:20 PM(UTC)
sunman4008

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Hello, ​I am creating a DLL for this functionality.   Does anyone know how to access other time frame data? ​-Mike
mstt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:14:10 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Mike My range of Multi-Frame formulas have been around for 8-9 years now. The MetaStock Formula language is used with 2 existing DLLs - the DLLs being Forum.dll and MSTT.dll - to generate higher periodicity formulas and functions while accessing the underlying chart or data periodicity. Each of the 6 Multi-Frame series have 150 to 160 indicators, though for intraday data the later ID series covers both the I and X series. The D, D+ and D~ series typically operate on daily data. Most MetaStock users will be familiar the Forum DLL (188KB version), and Wabbit created the MSTT DLL specifically to extend Multi-Frame formula capabilities. The variable EMA and ValueWhen functions in particular are incredibly flexible. Wabbit's ValueWhen function allows for compression and expansion of time-frames such that some higher time-frame custom indicators can use the functionality of standard MetaStock functions. I wish you well in creating your DLL but I can't help but think that you're needlessly reinventing the wheel Roy
sunman4008  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:23:46 PM(UTC)
sunman4008

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Definitely don't want to "reinvent" the wheel.    I notice references for accessing higher timeframe.  How about lower?
mstt  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 12:48:54 AM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Daily data cannot be coaxed to deliver intraday data but it can be manipulated to deliver a set number of bars per frame (a 3-day timeframe for example). Multi-Frame formulas for use on daily or higher periodicity data can operate in daily mode (where the data source is intraday or daily), split week (mid-week break either on Tuesday or Wednesday end-of-day), weekly, fortnightly, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, six-monthly or yearly. Obviously higher time-frames require greater amounts of daily data, so in reality any time-frame higher than Monthly needs a lot of data. When higher time-frame EMAs are used an accurate result will probably need 3-5 times as much data as an SMA would need (that's the nature of an EMA). Intraday Multi-Frame indicators can be set to 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120, 180, 240, 360, 720 or1440 minute time-frames. To the best of my knowledge no indicator (or exploration etc.) can deliver data or results of a shorter timeframe (periodicity) than that supplied by your data provider. There's no problem, however, in creating higher periodicity results from lower periodicity data. Hope this helps. Roy