logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tumbi  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:29:28 AM(UTC)
tumbi

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have recently upgraded from MS 11 to XV after being told I will not be able use my software in future if I happen to need to change computer hardware, or to reinstall it for any reason. Not good. I paid for it and own it and should be able to use it for as long as I want. Anyway I have upgraded now and am struggling a bit to work our how to get my daily EOD data file into my MetaStock database. From various readings, I am beginning to think the new MetaStock program cannot read MetaStock format files?? Is that correct? Do we have to convert a data file in MetaStock format to something else (like CSV) before loading it into MetaStock? Somebody, hit me with a feather! But alright ... can somebody please give a step by step guide as to just how I update my charts with today's EOD data. For example, do I use the new downloader to convert my MetaStock format data to CSV or perhaps to MSLocal format? Then what? How does that converted file get updated into the real database? By the way, where is the real database located, the one with all my historical data? I expect I will want to do a regular backup of that database. I suppose, in time, the new one will become more familiar, and hopefully the program will become more intuitive as new releases become available? P.S. Note to the Developers - it would be nice if the Downloader, or the MetaStock program itself, had a single "UPDATE DATA" button that would load, convert if necessary, and update the database. Input file location, etc should be configurable but in most cases the defaults would apply. Input file format too should be configurable, but please allow MetaStock format as one of the valid options!
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 7:07:17 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, MetaStock 15 supports 3 Local Data formats: MSLocal is the new format, Legacy is the old MetaStock format, and CSV. In MetaStock 15's Power Console, simply double click on the "Local Data Lists" in the tree, then Browse to the folder containing your old MetaStock format. If you prefer, you can point at a parent folder (i.e. C:\MetaStock Data) then use the "Create lists from subfolders" button to add every subfolder into its own list in MetaStock 15. You can also check out this instructional video for further help/clarification on this:
tumbi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 2:38:23 AM(UTC)
tumbi

Thank you for the information you provided. But it does not address my problem. And I am becoming convinced it is all because of my misunderstanding of the terminology I am using. So I should state the problem again, this time avoiding any of the terms like "Local Data" or "Legacy". I have been using MetaStock for about 15 years the latest being version 11. I work offline always and rely on a daily download of end of day prices to keep my system up to date. A week or two ago, I upgraded to XV. I converted my "old" MS11 data to the new format used by XV and can use MetaStock XV to display all the charts with indicators etc that were available to me when running MS11. So, I am running XV fine, without problems. And using the new, converted historical database (which I suspect is called Local Data?) The problem is, I now need to keep my new database up to date with today's prices and tomorrow's prices but don't know how to do that. For the past 15 years I have been downloading from my broker a file, in MetaStock format, containing end of day prices for all stocks in the Australian Stock Exchange. It comes to me as a txt file. In MS11, the Downloader processed that txt file to update my historical database. When the Downloader completes, I can load MetaStock 11 and see my charts with the updated information. I would like to do the same in XV. The new Downloader does not appear to have any option for a txt file as input. So how do I get today's prices into my new charts?
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 6:13:04 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Hi, The new DownLoader uses the "Convert" button to accomplish this. The new format is referred to as "MSLocal". In the event you are getting text files to update your existing MSLocal files, you would choose "CSV" as the Source File type, and "MSLocal" as the Destination File type. You would browse to the folder containing the CSV/TXT file. Note: There is a bug with conversions right now, where the Source file is overwriting the destination (MSLocal) file. This means if the file you are converting every day does not have all the history, you will lose that history in the destination file. This is something we will be correcting in our next maintenance release, but at this time I do not have a specific release date for this.
tumbi  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 10:24:27 PM(UTC)
tumbi

Thank you again for your response. I downloaded yesterday's EOD prices as a CSV file and specified CSV as input source format in the Downloader's Convert function. But when Browsing to select that CSV file, the directory/folder came up blank, as if there were no files there! Yes, there were definitely several CSV and TXT files there, really. Anyway, your second comment tells me I will not be able to convert just that day's prices. Because of this bug, I am expected to convert several years of history for a couple of thousand stocks, every day? Oh well, back to MS 11 and just hope and pray I never have to reinstall it.
MS Support  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 10:30:17 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Hi, The folder is supposed to appear empty when you first navigate to it (The button should say "Select Folder"). However, once you select the folder, a little triangle should appear next to the folder in the window below. If it does not, then this means DownLoader is unable to handle the CSV format. You can also simply use the old DownLoader to keep the data in the "Legacy" format, using the old DownLoader to convert from CSV/TXT to Legacy (v11 data format). MetaStock 15 can read this Legacy format directly.
tumbi  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:31:31 AM(UTC)
tumbi

Thank you. I have abandoned the newly converted MSLocal files and have reverted to the old Legacy format. And I have abandoned the new XV Downloader and am using the old MS 11 Downloader to add daily price updates. Now it is all working fine! Thanks again.
thanks 2 users thanked tumbi for this useful post.
MS Support on 2/15/2017(UTC), goldilox134 on 4/14/2017(UTC)
MS Support  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:08:52 PM(UTC)
MS Support

That is good to hear. Once we do have the conversion issue resolved in the new DownLoader, you can easily convert from Legacy to MSLocal if you choose (or you can of course maintain the current process).
splkab1998  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:30:51 PM(UTC)
splkab1998

Groups: Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
That is good to hear. Once we do have the conversion issue resolved in the new DownLoader, you can easily convert from Legacy to MSLocal if you choose (or you can of course maintain the current process).

I would like to ask if  the conversion issue has been alredy resolved? 

MS Support  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 2:38:55 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: splkab1998 Go to Quoted Post

I would like to ask if  the conversion issue has been alredy resolved? 

Hi,

This issue has been addressed and conversions should properly append vs. replace when writing into MSLocal. This was fixed in 15.0.4330 (which is the current release build of 15).

splkab1998  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 8:12:06 PM(UTC)
splkab1998

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Super! One more question:

Is there possibilty to append to local data one day data written in *.prn file with all securites data together? For example:

FACPU17,20170908,48.62,48.99,48.62,48.99,7,58 FALRU17,20170908,65.40,65.77,64.80,65.49,35,728 FATTU17,20170908,65.99,65.99,65.99,65.99,2,54 FBRSU17,20170908,10.20,10.20,10.20,10.20,1,3 FBZWU17,20170908,360.00,364.95,360.00,360.35,5,16

MS Support  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 8:28:07 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Hi,

This is possible, but a Symbol and Interval column/header must be included in the comma separated text file.

coopcd  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 12:34:56 AM(UTC)
coopcd

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Hi,

I am having the same problem as post 5. I select the folder of the CSV and nothing shows up. I have updated metastock to the latest version 15.0.433. 

Where can i download the Downloader version 11? or what other solution is there?

Regards,

Cameron

MS Support  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:55:16 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: coopcd Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

I am having the same problem as post 5. I select the folder of the CSV and nothing shows up. I have updated metastock to the latest version 15.0.433. 

Where can i download the Downloader version 11? or what other solution is there?

Regards,

Cameron

Hello,

Without seeing the data it is hard to say where the issue might be. As noted, the folder will initially always appear empty as you click Select Folder, but once you do click Select Folder any properly formatted files should appear below the folder in a tree format with a > next to the folder.

If this is not happening, there is likely something wrong in the structure or content of the data file. The old DownLoader is available to DataLink subscribers, but it also has a certain format (headers, etc) that must be maintained.

It would be best to first determine exactly why the data is failing to show up before offering the appropriate solution. You may wish to contact support and attach a copy of a CSV file (as an example) and we can try and help determine the problem. https://www.metastock.com/company/contact.aspx

There are log files that are created that may also help determine more specifically why the CSV file is failing to be seen if we are unable to determine this from the structure of the file format itself.

dominicowens  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2017 8:35:43 PM(UTC)
dominicowens

Hi,

This issue has been addressed and conversions should properly append vs. replace when writing into MSLocal. This was fixed in 15.0.4330 (which is the current release build of 15).

Thank you very much for that!

#16 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:09:12 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi, The folder is supposed to appear empty when you first navigate to it (The button should say "Select Folder"). However, once you select the folder, a little triangle should appear next to the folder in the window below. If it does not, then this means DownLoader is unable to handle the CSV format. ...

Would you please specify how the csv file is supposed to be structured to be handled by the Downloader for conversion - I have the following csv format (one line for each day, one file for each security)

SYMB,D,M,D,YYYY,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume,0

resp.

SYMB,D,MM,DD,YYYY,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume,0

and MS15 is not recognising the files.

MS Support  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:14:52 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post

Hi, The folder is supposed to appear empty when you first navigate to it (The button should say "Select Folder"). However, once you select the folder, a little triangle should appear next to the folder in the window below. If it does not, then this means DownLoader is unable to handle the CSV format. ...

Would you please specify how the csv file is supposed to be structured to be handled by the Downloader for conversion - I have the following csv format (one line for each day, one file for each security)

SYMB,D,M,D,YYYY,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume,0

resp.

SYMB,D,MM,DD,YYYY,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume,0

and MS15 is not recognising the files.

<Symbol>,<Interval>,<Date>,<Open>,<High>,<Low>,<Close>,<Volume>,<o/i>

Your date should not contain commas which would likely be seen as delimiters. Not sure what the 0 is on the end, but if that is for open interest, you will also want to have an <open interest> or <o/i> header line.

There is a Help topic within Downloader under Local Data > .CSV / .TXT > Local Data File Format that you can also review since there are often multiple ways to define the header line.