logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ravic  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:22:00 PM(UTC)
ravic

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Hello,

Is there a way I can run the Metastock 15 DownLoader application from the command line? i.e. I want to be able to fire up a download and conversion that requires no user input from a batch script late at night. 

The previous versions of Metastock 10.x used to have an express download option for the downloader, which remembered the previous download setting and performed a download without any user intervention.

Thanks

- Ravi

ravic  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:54:30 AM(UTC)
ravic

Amazingly, it has been over 2 months since I raised this query and no one from Metastock support has bothered to reply, surely I can't be the only user that would like to ability to fire-up a download without requiring any user action? Metastock 10.x used to have an express download option, why has this been removed in Metastock 15 Downloader? This seems like a massive backwards step - please help!!

MS Support  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:44:44 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, Sorry this post was missed. There is a method to perform an express download. While this shortcut is not included, you can perform these steps to create a shortcut to this effect: On your desktop: 1. Right click on empty area of Desktop 2. Select New 3. Select Shortcut 4. Click Browse 5. Navigate to the installation folder and select the Downloader.exe (For MetaStock DC this will typically be C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\Eikon\Program) 6. Modify the line with the folder and add /express to the end, such as "C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\Eikon\Program\Downloader.exe" /express then click Next 7. Name the shortcut, i.e. "Express Download" This shortcut will essentially as the old DownLoader did. Additionally, you can add the same command mentioned above to the Windows Task Scheduler to automate the download process. DownLoader must be closed for the /express switch to work.
ravic  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:51:02 PM(UTC)
ravic

Thank you for the information. A couple more questions,

1) Can I also automate the conversion process?

2) Where can I find documentation on all the switches supported by Downloader.exe ?

Thanks.

MS Support  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:24:49 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, The only switch in DownLoader is the /express option, so there isn't any built-in way to automate the conversion (it might work with certain macro'ing programs, but we do not offer support for this). I have created an issue tracker for the inclusion of a shortcut (and potentially a Help topic) in a future update. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
ravic  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:27:22 PM(UTC)
ravic

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, we'll see the conversion feature soon!

snoopy.pa30  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 6:57:13 PM(UTC)
snoopy.pa30

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Ravic, You might want to look into AutoIT.   It allows you to "script" together simple commands and keystrokes. 

Well actually it allows a lot more than that, but depending on your scripting ability, it is relatively quick and easy to throw a script together to automate the download and convert.

Edited by user Friday, April 28, 2017 6:58:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typing errors and additional information

wabbit  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 4:14:49 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
You can also achieve some pretty powerful tools and results using simple VBS already built into a Windoze machine; although a modicum of programming knowledge is useful but not mandatory.