logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maeday  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:11:06 AM(UTC)
maeday

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I have been using the EST in MS11 for many years but am getting concerned about the validity of some of my results. In all of my testing I always set Margins & Commissions at Zero (preferring to add these on separate Excel studies) and for Default Size I use “Transaction Cost” of $10,000 with an initial equity of $100,000. I expected that this would result in the units purchased for each test being the nearest whole number under ($10,000 divided by purchase price) (Trading Long only with Buy price set at Open with zero slippage and “Realistic Market Prices” left unchecked.)

However when studying the search results in the “Result Details View” under the “Positions Tab” the value of each trade (ie units times purchase price) varies markedly around that $10,000 value, sometimes by up to 15%. And this is what I believe is corrupting my test results.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this is happening or what I should do to avoid it happening? What I am aiming to do is use a fixed value of units purchased, without allowing for any commission or other trading costs, for each system test.

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:45:22 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
We'd likely need to see all the settings to determine what is going on with your results. One possible issue is if you have the Delay Order Opening (in the Trade Execution area where you unchecked Realistic Market Prices) set to anything other than 0. The system determines the number of shares it can purchase based on the signal bar, but with a delay there could be a change in price (such as the price going down) so the system buys less shares that it otherwise might be able to had it calculated the number of shares on the date of entry. One thing you can review is the Orders tab. A trade will go through several stages - Considered, Placed, Opened, Executed. Considered is where it actually calculates the number of shares to purchase, so if your trade is Executing on a different date than the Considered date, this could account for the shares purchased discrepancy.
maeday  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:13:00 PM(UTC)
maeday

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks MS Support, that was the problem, I had Realistic Market Prices unchecked and Delay Order Opening had been left at 1. Changing that to zero brought the execution date back to the considered date with the correct number of shares purchased. Mind you I would have thought that changing the execution date should do just that and not affect the value of the purchase when price changes but I guess that's another argument for another day. I'm surprised at the difference it can make to EST results. But now I know, thanks again for some invaluable help.