logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DavidF  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 8:39:43 AM(UTC)
DavidF

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Almost all my charts have $ scales on both the right and left axes, typically price on the right and ATR on the left.

Whenever I draw a horizontal line on the chart it's a toss-up whether the line will take its value from the left or the right axis. Similarly, if I hover the cursor anywhere on the chart I can never be sure whether it will pick up its value from the right or left axis; more commonly it's from the left, where I'm usually wanting it from the right.

How do I force MS objects to take values from a specific axis?
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:54:35 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi,

If a Left Y-Axis exists in the chart, then the 'coordinate' value that display in the lower right corner (i.e. where your cursor is in the chart) will always reflect the Left Y-Axis values. If no Left Y-Axis exists, then this coordinate will be based on the Right Y-Axis. There is no way to force the cursor value to a particular axis outside of the rules mentioned above.

In regards to line studies, the nearest object to where you start drawing the study determines the values of that particular study. A couple of tips in regards to getting the desired axis value would be to start drawing the study where it is clearly near the desired object you want to be scaled to. You can then move the study afterward to the precise desired location and it will maintain the original scaling. You can also right-click on the study and choose "Scaling" to reassign the scaling to the desired object within that inner window.

Edited by user Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:56:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DavidF  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 3:16:29 PM(UTC)
DavidF

Hi Support My main concern is with the full-width, horizontal lines (from the left side toolbar). With those the only control I have is its vertical position; I can't control the starting point. I could if it was a short Trendline but not with a Horizontal Line.
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 4:14:29 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi again, I suppose it might be more accurate to say the starting position of your cursor when plotting the lines. I tested this out to be sure and it seems to hold true for horizontal lines as well. I have a MACD displayed on the left scale and the price on the right scale. When drawing a horizontal line, if my mouse cursor is closest to the MACD, it uses the left scale, if my mouse cursor is closest to the price it uses the right scale.
DavidF  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 3:07:06 AM(UTC)
DavidF

OK - thanks - I'll try that and see how I go. Once I've selected Horizontal Line I'll move the cursor across to the extreme right of the screen before I click to fix its vertical position.