logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alessandro  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:34:53 AM(UTC)
Alessandro

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

I am using MS EOD v11 and third party data provider Premiumdata. I have been using the software for years with very few problems however today I've had the weirdest event, namely I go to Open a file in a custom folder and the files are not there only the MSSmart folder. This occurs in 2 out of 5 custom folders. I've checked the custom folder in Windows (7) and they are there, eg F1 to F50 along with emaster.bak by 2.

The other custom folder show the symbols all OK. Any ideas please?

mstt  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 10:32:26 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Alessandro I'm no expert in getting around problems such as yours but I have managed to reduce the occurrence of similar problems on both laptop and desktop. One of the options with PremiumData is to "refresh" all custom folders. When starting PremiumData click on the Custom Folders tab, select your exchange group (if you have more than one), then click the "Refresh Existing Custom Folders" button. Or you might prefer to delete all custom folders, or at least the affected folders, and then recreate them. Another possible possible cause of MetaStock unreliability, which may or may not be related to your data, is the Compatibility settings you have for desktop shortcuts. I had no end of problems similar to yours when I upgraded to Windows 7 and had to reinstall MS 9.1, 10.1 and 11 (EOD versions). Ditto for a new laptop and Windows 8.1. I still get the occasional data-type error message but I'm usually able to hit the enter key and carry on anyway. If you continue to get PremiumData problems then email them and ask for help. I'm sure they'll be happy to help. Roy
Alessandro  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:00:20 AM(UTC)
Alessandro

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Thanks Roy. Is this Roy of NZ? If so congratulations on NZ toppling Au at the cricket, we deserved it! I've tried the refresh and communicating with PD but it did not work and they think the data is ok and it must be an MS problem. I have Amibroker also and have no problems accessing the file from that application. At present I'm thinking of reloading MS as I cannot think of anything else to do.How is your health? I see the NZ economy is going well, better than ours.. much like the cricket! Alex
mstt  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:05:20 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Alex Yes, that's me. We Kiwis are pretty happy with the way the cricket World Cup is going. However there's a long way to go before the final. On any given day anything can happen, as we've seen in many of the games already. I think the current Black Caps are the best team and best coached we've had for a number of years. I wouldn't put money on them winning the tournament but it's nice to see some great innings, and a tight win over Australia is right up there. :-) My health is not an issue these days. Doctors visits for meds and regular INR blood tests are a normal part of life and getting older, so nothing to complain about there. What's happening with you? PM or email me. To be honest I don't know what's up with your MS 11, but setting compatibility to XP Service Pack 3 seems to have eliminated most (but not all) of my own problems. Regards Roy
MS Support  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 3:18:57 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alessandro Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Roy. Is this Roy of NZ? If so congratulations on NZ toppling Au at the cricket, we deserved it!

I've tried the refresh and communicating with PD but it did not work and they think the data is ok and it must be an MS problem. I have Amibroker also and have no problems accessing the file from that application. At present I'm thinking of reloading MS as I cannot think of anything else to do.How is your health? I see the NZ economy is going well, better than ours.. much like the cricket!

Alex

You should check the contents of the data folders directly through Windows.  It is possible that the files have encountered some form of corruption / damage.  There should not typically be any sort of .BAK files inside, nor any .TMP files.  However, you would not necessarily want to delete them.

The most common problem is the presence of ~MSFL files inside any of the directories.  These files are "lock"files and should only be present when someone is actively accessing the data in the folder.  They should be deleted manually if they exist in the folder at any other time.

More serious damage / corruption can cause the MASTER, XMASTER, EMASTER files (which normally should not have any extension) to show up with a .TMP extension.  Depending on whether you have another copy of the file without an extension will determine which file you should keep (also keeping the file with the largest size is usually recommended).

Additionally, you should only have an XMASTER if there are more than 255 securities in the folder.

It would be pretty unusual for another application to be able to read the files while MS cannot, although there can be problems inside a parent folder that cascade into subfolders (which is why you should not typically create securities within a parent folder in addition to subfolders containing data (for example you would not want to store securities directly within the C:\MetaStock Data folder and within subfolders of MetaStock data).

Edited by user Monday, March 2, 2015 3:24:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified