logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
retireewill  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:38:15 PM(UTC)
retireewill

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Using MS11 EOD.

Running System Tester on various issues & indicators, the file "ST_Data.mdb" in the \Equis\Metastock folder keeps growing in size.,,and I'm talking huge. At one time it had grown to over 1.2 gig when initially it was around 45 megs. What is taking place in that file? The entire Metastock program is just a little over that. Options to Cleanup seem to reduce the size very little.

Matter of fact, if I attempt to Cleanup often then I start getting File Errors during the cleanup process. Then, when exiting MS 11 EOD and re-entering and click on Enhanced System Tester it may take 15 to 30 seconds for the Tester screen to appear - and we are talking an i7/3.9 GHz processor. Otherwise, with smaller ST-Data file, the screen pops up instantly.

I now keep a copy of the smaller file and overwrite the larger one as needed. If I have added my own Indicators/System Tests, then best to Export, then Import them or it seems they will not be there when overwriting the file. [:)]

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:25:47 AM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi,

The ST_DATA.MDB is a Microsoft Access database. It contains your System Tester formulas, but it also stores some of the system test results directly in this file (Summary and System tabs if I recall correctly).

Because this file is storing results as well as system test formulas, the file can grow in size over time. Unfortunately the Clean option inside MetaStock does not always remove all the various tables, etc. that are placed in this file.

You can also try using the JETCOMP.EXE application that we include with MetaStock. With version 11, this application should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Equis\MetaStock. What you basically want to do with this is rename the ST_DATA.MDB to ST_DATA1.MDB. After this, launch the JETCOMP tool, and click the "..." button next to the source file. Browse to and open the ST_DATA1.MDB file. Do the same this for the Destination file, but then take the 1 off the end of the file and then click the "Compact" button.

If this method does not help, as you noted you can simply move a backup of ST_DATA.MDB back into your folder.

You could also make a backup of the ST_DATA file right after you put in your custom systems but before you run any tests, that way you don't have to keep re-importing your old systems back in (of course if you add custom systems over time you would want to back these up as well).
retireewill  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:51:22 PM(UTC)
retireewill

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Many Thanks, MS Support. I printed out and followed your instructions and it went smoothly. It reduced the size from 800+ Mbs to 700+ Mbs. Nothing earthshaking but should help in the future.

What I think I hit upon, which was causing the slow down of the Tester popup window launching, was that I was manually deleting Tests and Compacting the data often and before MS asked if "I wanted to do so." When I would get down to within last 5 days or so, then I would get "File Error' during the Delete Old Test/ Compacting, etc. It seemed from that point on, the file would continue to grow, and take what seemed like forever for the Tester window to pop up. Since the last e[censored]ode, I have not manually deleted tests, but wait until MS asks. So far, so good with this method.[:)]