logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
koyasan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 7:02:53 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Contacted Equis technical support with this issue and after three weeks they seem to have run out of ideas so I’m hoping the collective wisdom of this Forum can help.

Problem: Security Data Function in Online mode simply will not work. Nine times out of ten the program instantly freezes when I try to plot an “Online” indicator (and has to be closed down through Task manager) or occasionally message comes up "No data exists for requested date range in security function..." Any Security in Online mode will not work such as Security("ONLINE:US&SPX",C); or plotting Arms Index (TRIN) (Online).

A specific case in point, recently I purchased Big Trends Toolkit 2.0 but cannot plot the BTTK Nasdaq Composite Relative Strength vs SP 500 Indicator (QuoteCenter Version). Reason is of course this indicator uses Security Data Function in ONLINE mode

I have no difficulty opening a simple chart of the SP500 index or any security for that matter. If I try to reference the cached data path for the SP500 "C:\MetaStock Data\DataOnDemand Cache\US&SPX" the indicator and chart works fine every time as well.

I have followed the advice on page 424 of my Metastock manual ( live bars disabled etc ) without success.

Equis Support suggested restarting computer, be careful with upper and lower case typing of securities, poor internet connection, and reinstall Metastock. Checked all of that without any difference. Incidentally my line speed is:

[( line speed is [*8.25 Mbps*] (8251 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.01 MB/s*] (1031 KB/s). )]

I use Metastock Pro 10.1 v with QuoteCenter data.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed[:'(][:'(]
johnl  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 8:30:08 PM(UTC)
johnl

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Wow, that speed is really fast, maybe too fast. Sounds funny but you might try slowing
down your download speed. Also in the reference manual topic: "Collecting Local
Real-time Data" you might try accessing the info. from your hard drive instead of theirs.
(Don't know if the "collecting data" means real time vs snap shot or not, you will have to investigate further.)

koyasan  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:46:30 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Thanks Johnl for the suggestions.........never thought I would ever hear that Metastock would run better if I slow down my speed......but then again nothing else seems to work. Tried opening the indicator while at the same time choking my download speed with other programs..........unfortunately same result (instant lock up and back to task manager for forced shutdown). You are right about collecting real time data which is an option but to do that I have to have my computer running all the time to avoid any gaps in live data collection (no intraday history available) and not practical (or probably possible) to collect data on all the stocks in the SP500 at the same time.

Just got another email from Equis and they seem to be suggesting that my older previous versions of Metastock on my computer might be the cause. Maybe a complete uninstal/reinstal might work. My idea is that there is a corrupt dll responsible but I've no technical expertise in this area. I should add that I use XP Pro with SP3 on an HP laptop hard wired to the modem though I doubt if that is relevant to the issue.

I'll certainly post the solution if one is ever found.

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:03:54 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
koyasan,

Please do the following:
- Open MetaStock and go to Tools -> Options.
- Select the "QuoteCenter" tab
- hold down the "Ctrl" key and right-click in the bottom left corner in the empty space above the OK button

This will display a hidden option.
- Check the box "Enable Online Log"
- Click "Ok" and restart MetaStock

After MetaStock restarts:
- go to File -> Open
- select Options -> Open with template
- select and open "Clean.mwt" (it may be listed as just "Clean")
- select and open any security
- plot your indicator using the online data
- wait at least 5 minutes before using Task Manager to close MetaStock

If the indicator fails to plot
- close MetaStock
- email the file "MetaStock Professional-Online.log" to our support department.

The file will be in the Windows temp folder. Use the Windows Search to local the file if you need to. In the Email, please reference this forum post.
koyasan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:27:59 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Have followed your instructions and actually waited 15 minutes (indicator did not plot) before shutting down Metastock. Have emailed the Metastock Professional Online Log file to Meta Support (Keith ref 1199270). Hopefully the log will provide some clues.
Many thanks for your help.
koyasan  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 6:46:59 PM(UTC)
koyasan

10 days later still waiting on a response from Metastock support regarding findings on the Online Log file.
MS Support  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 4:05:07 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
koyasan,

I checked with Keith and I can see where the day you sent us the log, he had previouly requested you contact our support offices so we could get you on our live help system to directly observer this.

I looked at the log file with a senior rep. We can see where you are requestion 10 years of data and then get nothing back. It looks like you plotted and removed the indicator about 10 times.

At this point, I have two suggestions.
1) try the indicator without any path:

Security("us;COMP", C)

If you plot that on an online security, it will request the data from the QuoteCenter servers. Lets see if that has the same issue.

2) if you still can not access the data, please phone or use chat to contact our support reps so they can log into your system with our Live Help .

koyasan  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 7:13:54 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Keith did suggest to contact your live help system. The request was on the same day as you suggested sending the online log (13th April 2011) so I was simply trying the online log first. In any case Keith has now contacted me again and is aware of your latest suggestions.

So if I understand you correctly when the indicator was being plotted the request for data was automatically received but for some reason there was no reponse. You then say that the online log suggests 'It looks like you plotted and removed the indicator about 10 times'. I'm not sure what you mean by this but I take it that you mean the system tried to remove the indicator automatically because all I did was look at a frozen screen and shut the system down through task manager. At no time did I try to remove the indicator.

Later today I will follow up your suggestion (1) and post the result . If the result is unsucessful I will contact Live Help.

For anyone else reading this I will post updates until the matter is resolved or closed. I find it hard to believe I am the only one who has ever experienced this issue.

koyasan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:21:03 AM(UTC)
koyasan

Same old story, as soon as there is any attempt to plot the indicator everything just hangs. Ok so next step contact Live Help and will post any progress.

koyasan  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:57:52 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Don't you just love it when you finally get something resolved? I recently upgraded my 10.1 version to 11 and hey presto my online data function now works perfectly. I suppose the older version must have had add some corrupt files or whatever which obviously were overwritten in the update....maybe that was also the reason for those not so good trades[:)]