logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ageitalia  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:33:26 AM(UTC)
ageitalia

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I wonder if this is the proper room to submit this question. I update my database with a local data vendor too. The daily task updates a folder containing some 65 issue. My purpose is to run the FIRE routines (ERSA and Breadth Indicators) on SELECTED securities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aftter reading the manual it looks like these features can be run on a whole folder only.
jjstein  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:48:45 AM(UTC)
jjstein

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
"it looks like these features can be run on a whole folder only"

That's what FIRE is designed to do - run on groups of securities. Make a folder out of your group of SELECTED securites, and run it on that folder.
ageitalia  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:11:04 PM(UTC)
ageitalia

jjstein wrote:
Make a folder out of your group of SELECTED securites, and run it on that folder.
Do I have to create a separate folder with Equis Downloader, or is FIRE able to do so? In the former case, I would have to copy&paste securities each time, given that my data provider (EVERY data provider, by the way...) would update the original folder only. In the latter case, I wonder HOW to create a "twin" folder by using FIRE. I guess FIRE would authomatically update this "new" folder... Thanks in advance.
jjstein  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:19:24 PM(UTC)
jjstein

>>given that my data provider (EVERY data provider, by the way...) would update the original folder only.

This is not the case. Anything you add to the Downloader list will update; ie: The same securites are in US Stocks as in the S&P500 folder, S&P 100 folder, etc. You just need to add the folder and its securites to the list.

Use Windows Explorer or Downloader to create the folder.

Then use Downloader to copy the securities you want to it.

Now, manually run Downloader -- Tools -- Download Prices, add the new folder & its securites and complete the Download sequence. (The next time you run Express Download, everything will update.)

Now, set up FIRE to do whatever it is you want, using that folder.

ageitalia  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:48:47 AM(UTC)
ageitalia

jjstein wrote:
Use Windows Explorer or Downloader to create the folder.

Then use Downloader to copy the securities you want to it.

Now, manually run Downloader -- Tools -- Download Prices, add the new folder & its securites and complete the Download sequence.
Dear Johnathan, forgive me. Maybe I was not so clear in explaining myself. The data I'm referring to is updated with a stand alone program different than Equis Downloader. So I doubt creating a new folder with selected securieties would be updated with the proper daily task. I was wondering if FIRE would allow me to create IN ITSELF a new "virtual" folder, just containing the securities I'm interested into.
jjstein  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:20:19 AM(UTC)
jjstein

>>So I doubt creating a new folder with selected securieties would be updated with the proper daily task.

Well, either it will or it won't. Have you tried? Do you know for sure? What program is it? Have you asked their support people?

>>I was wondering if FIRE would allow me to create IN ITSELF a new "virtual" folder, just containing the securities I'm interested into.

I don't believe so.