logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alei  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:46:23 PM(UTC)
alei

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi,
Allowed space for formulas in system tester (in MS 11) seems to be rather limited: how many characters can be used? Is there any way to lenghten it?
v.trader  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:19:48 PM(UTC)
v.trader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi, I believe the # of max characters is 2500, but for more accuracy check the Formula Primer. A possible way to shorten your formula would be to separate one formula into 2 or 3 or more and then use the FML and FMLVAR functions to combine them into 1, which saves some space sometimes. I also think that with the use of the Metastock Developers' Kit you can eliminate most of the limits that metastock has. VT
mstt  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:46:33 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Hi

There's roughly half the space in each EST formula window as there is for other formula windows (indicators, exploration columns etc.). I forget the actual number but it's easy enough to fill up the space using lines of 50 characters (or so) and making as many copies of that line as MS allows. Such an exercise doesn't require real code because you're going to delete it immediately after establishing the total space avaialable anyway.

Yes it is possible to get around the space limitation but it's not always the easiest thing to do. I wrote an article in the MSTT newsletter three or four years ago setting out how to use global variables (and the GV DLL) to optimise outside the EST. The idea was to keep long code in the Indicator builder instead of trying to cram all code into the EST. The concept is not really appropriate for beginners, nor is it really the best way to go if more basic options are available. Something as simple as reducing variable names to one or two characters is a good place to state. There are 14 letters of the alphabet that can be used as variable names. Expressions that are repeated two or more times should be defined as a variable once and then that variable can be called as often as needed. I could list several more space-saving tips but I'm sure you get the idea.

Roy

www.metastocktips.co.nz