logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
michaeljfla  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 3:54:16 PM(UTC)
michaeljfla

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I purchased and installed MetaStock V9.1 EOD in my Dell laptop in June 2006. As my PC ages, I am concerned that my hard drive may crash someday. I am considering backing up my MetaStock files/software with a subscription to "Carbonite" which encrypts and uploads the hard drive files to a secure server. Do any MetaStock Community members have any experience with Carbonite or similar file retrieval products, and if utilized, would MetaStock software and related chart files be restored to full functionality?
johnl  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:14:07 PM(UTC)
johnl

I have backed up my hard driver and did have a failure (actually a virus) and
restored the Equis directory along with my other data with no problem. You can test
by backing up, renaming the Equis directory and restoring to see if you have problems.
When you are done, rename the saved Equis directory back to the Equis directory.
Only do if you are comfortable with playing around with files/folders/ and directories.
Or you can search this site for a list of important files and save those off on a regular
basis.
ahlimo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:59:13 AM(UTC)
ahlimo

Hi, You should not be too concerned as long as you have the original installation CDs. If your computer finally dies, it would be a "good" execuse to re-install Metastock in a clean state, onto a new computer. Of course, backing up is a also a good soiutlion, but, I will not be too concerned over such technicality, because our focus is on making money using Metastock. In any case, please note: 1) There is a place where all formulas created by you, are kept. If you have done something like that. You need to look for the folder and make sure it is copied to a thumb drive. If you only use the built-in formulas, you will not have such a folder. 2) There is a place where all downloaded EOD data is kept. By default, it is in C:\MS. Once you opened the MS folder, you should be able to find other folders. The "other" folder contains all the downloaded files. Now, finally, the question is: Do you want to keep all those downloaded files? Weill, yes, if are a full time trader working in a corporate environment. No, if you are merely trading for yourself. The reason is we should not bother to maintain such stringent measures since you have fresh data downloaded everyday during your EOD sessions. Your data is as good as what your provider gives to you. If your provider gives you corrupted data durng EOD sessions, you will received corrupted data. No point backing up "rubbish". In addition, it is important to note that Metastock can be installed on 2 computers. Ahlimo