logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matchbox  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 7:55:55 AM(UTC)
matchbox

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I have a serious problem with using the Enhanced System Tester (currently 10.1). If I want to test the results of a system for say 1/1/2009 to date, if I set up the dates in the system tester for that period, many of the functions in the system don't actually provide values until later in the year because they require data to "come up to speed". On the other hand, if I set dates earlier, the various indicators used kick in at various times, and the results are not accurate (compared to Buy/Hold) for the year to date value. Does anyone know if there is a way to specify a "preload" period where the indicators have the data they need to produce correct values for the first date of the test period so the buy/sell signals are correct for the entire specified period. This is such a serious problem that I'm surprised a fix has not been provided in MS EOD before now. Thanks.
Justin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 11:51:58 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Unfortunately this is not possible within MetaStock. If you load more data into the test, it will cause the Buy & Hold starting date to also change.
mstt  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:31:49 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Hi Matchbox

A simple way to restrict trading to a certain date range yet freeing the EST (or any other test process) to access "getting up to speed" data is to use a "date filter" to limit entries to the required date range. Here’s the one I’ve been using for years. It’s a wee bit chunky but it gets the job done. Set the default start and end dates as required and add "AND Fml("Date Filter")" to your system entry formula. The "Buy and Hold" figures won’t be correct but the actual trade results will span just the intended date range. If the end date is historical you can add "OR Fml("Date Filter")=FALSE" to close any open trades once it’s hit.

Roy

{Date Filter}

{Roy Larsen, rlarsen@quik.co.nz}

Sd:=Input("Start day" ,1,31,1);

Sm:=Input("Start month",1,12,1);

Sy:=Input("Start year" ,1980,2010,2009);

Ed:=Input("End day" ,1,31,31);

Em:=Input("End month" ,1,12,12);

Ey:=Input("End year" ,1980,2020,2009);

Start:=(DayOfMonth()>=Sd AND Month()=Sm AND

Year()=Sy) OR Year()>Sy OR (Year()=Sy AND

Month()>Sm);

End:=(DayOfMonth()<=Ed AND Month()=Em AND

Year()=Ey) OR Year()<Ey OR (Year()=Ey AND

Month()<Em);

Filter:=Start AND (End OR (Start AND Alert(Start=0,2)));

Filter;
matchbox  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:20:55 PM(UTC)
matchbox

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little late getting back to the forum, and finding it. I had/have already tried the equivalent of the date filter that I had done myself. It just seems like something this basic -- alloding data to preloaded so all formulas are up to speed before buy/sell signals are evaluated -- would be considered so fundamental as to not be left out of even the earliest versions of a System Tester. Without it, all moving averages and other formulas don't yield true results as systems; the first buy/sell depends on when the formulas can kick in. I think this is a really bad problem in Metastock and is something many people would not even realize when they test their own systems formulas. Thanks again, and let's hope it is fixed someday. Matchbox
saurabhrb  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 2, 2011 10:41:14 AM(UTC)
saurabhrb

Hi, I am very new to Metastock. I have been trying to get the Enhanced System Tester to Work. I am using a Moving Average Crossover Strategy. My Buy : Mov(C,13,E) > Mov(C,21,E) My Sell : Mov(C,13,E) < Mov(C,21,E) I am not able to put a stop loss using this formula. I want to set the stop loss at 3.5%. In the option of "STOPS" if I am putting 3.5%, I am getting wayward results. Can anyone Help