logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
faraz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:03:41 AM(UTC)
faraz

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi All,

I am having a real tough problem with MetaStock 7.0. Whenever i open securities in metastock , after sometime the application generates a window pop up saying "mswin.exe encountered a problem and will be shut down". On clicking OK the application(MetaStock) automatically closed down.

Please help me solving this problem, as i m using WinXP as my Operating System.

Regards

M Faraz Khan

Email: muhfkhan@yahoo.com

fable69  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 8:50:52 PM(UTC)
fable69

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

There are known errors like this when running any version below 8.01 with Windows XP. All versions prior to 8.01 were not designed for windows XP. Sometimes it crashes when you want to apply a template? Things like this? The only way to avoid this headache to to either upgrade to a new version of MetaStock or downgrade your OS.
NetWorthless  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 10:40:24 PM(UTC)
NetWorthless

fable69 wrote:
There are known errors like this when running any version below 8.01 with Windows XP. All versions prior to 8.01 were not designed for windows XP. Sometimes it crashes when you want to apply a template? Things like this? The only way to avoid this headache to to either upgrade to a new version of MetaStock or downgrade your OS.

Funny. I continue to have this same type of problem running under XP with MetaStock EOD v8, v9, and yes, even v10. It happens most often when I open a chart from an exploration results list directly after running the exploration or when I apply a template to an open chart. However, sometimes its happens when performing other tasks as well. On some occasions when this occurs, the "favorites folder" is totally erased. Because of this I have a daily ritual where I manually backup all favorites (i.e. *.dta files). I learned the hard way. Am I alone on this or are there others who have this same problem?

uasish  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:43:39 AM(UTC)
uasish

NetWorthless,

Just now i posted a query in another thread ,how to save list of favourities .I am having the same problem with MS 9 & XP.Tell me how do you store your favourities .

Asish

NetWorthless  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:25:07 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

uasish wrote:

NetWorthless,

Just now i posted a query in another thread ,how to save list of favourities .I am having the same problem with MS 9 & XP.Tell me how do you store your favourities .

Asish

uasish -

I just store them the old-fashioned way via MetaStocks's pseudo-directory structure. In other words, right click on a chart and then "Add to Favorites...". I have hundreds of charts saved as I regularly monitor potential trade candidates and keep a log of closed positions to analyze post-exit performance.

uasish  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2006 8:04:16 AM(UTC)
uasish

Networthless,

That i know ,i wanted to know about this "I manually backup all favorites (i.e. *.dta files)" ,which i got the information from another thread.

Asish

NetWorthless  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2006 9:49:34 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

uasish wrote:

Networthless,

That i know ,i wanted to know about this "I manually backup all favorites (i.e. *.dta files)" ,which i got the information from another thread.

Asish

Asish, (and others who may have had the same problems with the favorites "folder") -

Under a normal installation, your favorites and other info are stored in files with ".dta" extension in the "c:\program files\equis\metastock" directory. Using Windows Explorer manually create a backup directory and then copy *.dta files to this directory. I do this on a daily basis (at a minimum).

Please note: I would not backup these files while MetaStock is running as I believe that the favorites.dta file is written when you exit MetaStock and intermediate changes are stored in memory only. Could be wrong here but that’s what it looks like to me.

Then, if your favorites ever disappear on you (and rest assured they will), you can then copy over your backup file and you should be back in business. Worst case, you would only be missing any changes that you made in the last session.

Hope that helps.