logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorkBite  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:22:45 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
ref: http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?p=18191 If all you're using ZA for is as a firewall, you might try the standard Windows firewall unless you have something special going on. If you're using ZA antivirus, well, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I had to make a worm exception to get MS Pro to work under Norton AV. Gosh, I've been a Peter Norton groupie since the 8088 work he did, but I got fed up with all of the AV/ NIS problems since 2002. I switched to McAfee and haven't looked back... well, maybe a glance every now and then.
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:34:39 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I use Trend-Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security (AV and Firewall) with Kerio Personal Firewall (Yes I run two firewalls!) as well as the router hardware firewall. All excellent products. My machine runs stably and fast. All versions of MS work well in this environment, and under XP Pro SP2 wabbit :D
Patrick  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:25:44 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I personally use avaast ... It's free ... They have automatic updates every day almost and it acts as a firewall as well ... Much better than Norton in my opinion which tries to cook, clean , shop and do eveything on your computer ... :lol: Here is the link if you guys are interrested: http://www.avast.com/ Patrick :mrgreen:
big_bertha  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2006 1:40:16 AM(UTC)
big_bertha

I also use Trend Micro's PC-Cillin Internet Security for both AV and firewall protection.

I used to use Norton Internet security until on one upgrade it wouldn't install properly and was a real pain in the where the sun doesn't shine to uninstall completely to try installing again.

After many failed attempts to install Norton's, I deleted all references to it in my registry and c:\ drive and bought PC-Cillin. It installed without any problems on the first attempt.

I also use PC Tools' Spyware Doctor for spyware/malware protection.

bb :)

Spaceant  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2006 12:55:24 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

StorkBite wrote:
ref: http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?p=18191 If all you're using ZA for is as a firewall, you might try the standard Windows firewall unless you have something special going on. If you're using ZA antivirus, well, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I had to make a worm exception to get MS Pro to work under Norton AV. Gosh, I've been a Peter Norton groupie since the 8088 work he did, but I got fed up with all of the AV/ NIS problems since 2002. I switched to McAfee and haven't looked back... well, maybe a glance every now and then.

I have been using ZA firewall and antivirus for quite a long time. My experience with the ZA antivirus is still okay.

I am not sure what you mean re ZA. Can you share your experience if any?

I something have crash on MS Pro (eSignal), with Eqdatsrv, during realtime update. Not sure if this relates to ZA.

sa

alphateam  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2006 5:47:07 AM(UTC)
alphateam

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

I advise people to switch to AVG anti-virus. It's from www.grisoft.com. It is free to individuals but companies have to pay a subscription. The advantages of AVG are you get free daily updates. They take about 10 seconds to download each day. It happens automatically when you start up your browser. It is highly effective and scores highly in reviews. It works well with a firewall and scans emails automatically. The biggest advantage is that it is not aggressive and so you will not get crashes, lock outs and slow response time.

In contrast most users find Norton is too agressive in checking everything on your PC and it is costly. You only need an anti-virus to scan when you're on the net, emailing, adding a new program or accessing removable data storage. When you aren't connected, you don't need it.

McAfee performs better than Norton - fewer crashes etc. However you have pay for it.

I also suggest using Ad-aware and Spybot to check for spyware etc. They are both free and very effective and won't crash your system either.

Alphateam

big_bertha  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2006 4:07:13 PM(UTC)
big_bertha

The thing I don't like about free anti-virus and free fire-walls is that from the various reviews I've read the protection given by the freebies is generally not as extensive or as thorough as the so called named brands. Essentially, you get what you pay for - there is no such thing as a free lunch anymore :(

I disagree that you only need anti-virus when online. I leave PC-cillin's AV and firewall running all the time with no noticeable effect on my PC's performance. Also, if you share removeable storage devices like these USB thingies then having your AV switched on is a must-do imo, whether online or not.

I also have a general purpose hotmail account whose emails are also scanned by my PC-cillin AV in addition to whatever virus scanning hotmail do on incoming emails.

bb :)