logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Spaceant  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:44:46 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi, I am using MS 9.0 realtime and am experiencing a big problem. There is error message, something like:- "The instruction at “0x73dd11c7” referenced memory at “0x00000004”. The memory could not be “read”. Click on OK to terminate the program." The numbers vary each time........ I need to shut down MS and restart it again...... My system is: P4 2.54 giga hz, 1 gb ram, 200 gb harddisk well, I open two charts with 2 securites with a few indicators as shown below: Anyone can help me to fix it! saUserPostedImage
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:54:01 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
When exactly does the error message show? By the fact you attached the image, you are able open two charts simultaneously. Are they in a layout, or are they opened separately? Are the on a common template, or is each chart on a different template? Have you tried rebuilding each chart from scratch (it can be painful, but it works sometimes)? Have you tired saving each chart as a new template, then opening each chart with the new template, just in case it is something on the old template that has gone awry? These are just some initial suggestions... Perhaps you could give a little more information about what you think is causing the error to trigger. What are you do immediately before the error message pops up? Is it the same each time? wabbit :D
johnl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2006 3:18:58 AM(UTC)
johnl

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

And what are you doing when you get the message, Can you "make it happen". Do you have any other programs running, etc. What operating system: windows XP? When I have run across it, another application was using that memory but XP is supposed to manage this type of conflict, DOS did not. First thing I would do would be to go to Microsoft site and make sure all updates for windows and Internet explorer have been downloaded and applied, then see if I can duplicate.
Spaceant  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2006 9:21:01 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Wabbit / John, Thanks for trying to help me in fixing the problem. Well, here are some additional information:- 1) The 2 graphs are stored in a layout. Each time, I recall the layout and then displaying the 2 graphs. 2) The two graphs are not in common template. Actally, I have not stored any of them into a template cos each of them is dispaying 2 securities, I am not sure if I can recalling the graph properly by using templates. 3) Operating system : XP professional 4) Well, I didn't do anything special before the error message pops up. I am not aware of anything causing the problem. 5) I noramlly can open the graphs properly and MS can run / update the data properly for a few minutes. After, perhaps 5 to 10 mins, the error message pops up. 6) I have just installed GV dll, but I don't think it causes the problem. 7) I do use another internet quoting software. Well, I have been using them (the internet quoting software and MS) side by side for months and no such problem was founded, if yes just very occassional. 8) I am not sure if it relates to the "fast market" that may require quicker update and intensive CPU utilization. Again, I don't think it is the main cause. Sometimes, during the fast market, there is a pop up message from MS saying the it has difficulty in updating the data due to a lot of charts are opening and complexity of formulae, expert advisors. Normally, I open either 2 charts as previously posted or 3 charts on a security with 3 intraday time-frame, e.g. 1 min, 5 min and 15 min, each with quite a number of indicators.... Hope you can help me in figuring out the problem. sa
StorkBite  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2006 10:08:02 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
SpaceAnt- Have you tried this generic fix? http://forum.equis.com/msfaqs.php#133 If MS is shutting down, you may have some abandoned temp files messing you up... just a thought. MetaStock and The DownLoader create temporary files during operation. It normally deletes these files when you close it, but if it is shut down improperly, these files may not have been deleted. To delete these temporary files, do the following: - Make sure that MetaStock and the DownLoader (and Servers if using Pro) are closed - Click on Start | Find | Files or Folders (Or Search, depending on the version of Windows) - For Name: type in ~MSFL.* - Make sure the Look in field is set to C:\\ (Assuming your data is stored on your C:\\ drive) - Make sure 'Include subfolders' is checked - Click on the find now button - Once the ~MSFL files are found, click on Edit | Select All - Click on File | Delete - Start MetaStock again
Spaceant  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2006 10:30:52 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

StorkBite, Thanks for your input! Apparently, there is no such files on the folder that MS opens the charts which I've been experiencing problem..... may need to find out other possible causes sa
Spaceant  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:16:09 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Wabbit, I have re-build the chart from scatch, but the error message re-appears. Also, there is a message saying that MS is getting difficulty in updating the data, see below. How can we optimize MS to efficiently update the data (though this is a separate quoestion)? Well, back to the captioned issue, the error message is something like below. BTY, I have updated windows update from microsoft. It is really troublesome as I need to reopen MS again and again. Can you or anyone help me resolving it? Or what else can I try?? SaUserPostedImage UserPostedImage
StorkBite  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:16:13 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

That's a lot of data to update.. two 1-min charts in your layout... have you tried something in a higher timeframe to see if you get the same message? e.g., two 5-min charts. Maybe it's a bandwidth issue?
wabbit  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:17:46 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
SA Can you check that you aren't running MS in any sort of compatability mode? I noticed you have a large number of other apps running at the same time. Are they all necessary? What if you run MetaStock only? Do the errors still occur? Shutdown all other processes and try, see what happens. Bring up the other apps slowly, starting with the ones you REALLY need. Is there any difference? (BTW - How much RAM do you have? What are your system specs? What is your data connection throughput (not the speed you pay for - what speed do you actually get!?)) [edit - read the first post in the thread about system specs! d'oh. Which version of XP and service packs? Do you use any third part memory managers?] Have you tried changing the Windows priority for MetaStock? Open the Windows Task Manager. Select the Processes tab, and find the MSWin.exe process. Right click and set the priority higher than normal. The higher setting for a bit, and if nothing else goes wrong, try another setting higher. Keep going higher and higher until you get to RealTime. If your system is still stable.... its a good thing. Sorry, but this is about all I can think of right now - brain too full of maths stuff! wabbit :D
Spaceant  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:12:25 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

StorkBite, Thanks for your advices. I have tried a higher timeframe, two 5-min charts, it appears to be a bit better (running longer in time, not sure if it really improves) but the message comes again. Wabbit, Thanks for your advices too! My computer spec is: P4 CPU 2.53 GHz, 1 GB ram Data connection speed: 689.2 kbps (download), 256.72 kbps (upload) tested by http://www.abeltronica.c...pt/?idioma=uk&newlang=uk 721.2 kbps tested by http://reviews.cnet.com/...ID=&ISPNAME=&&kbps=721.2 Actually, I have tried changing the windows priority for MS, it didn't work to eliminate the error message and MS is required to shut down from time to time. I will try to do as you suggested to shut down all other processes and try to bring others up to see the difference. sa
StorkBite  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:50:33 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Quote:
689.2 kbps (download)
Hey SA- Now Hayseed is the resident expert, but your throughput is what seems to be killing you. The 'Minimum Configuration for Real Time Data Collection' list is pretty useless... later it goes on to say that you have to have a modem or internet connection. Ok then... now what did I do with that 150 baud acoustic modem? :roll: Sometimes I get bogged down too, especially if I'm trying to watch Patrick get killed in the Tick trades! LOL! :lol: UserPostedImage I know... my upload speed sucks... UserPostedImage
Patrick  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:31:05 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dude I don't tick trade :mad: I just look at the tick chart right before entering or exiting a position :P Plus I don't get killed, I'm too good for that :shades: :crylol:
StorkBite  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:09:25 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

:comfort: It's ok P... there are support groups available... :P
Spaceant  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:12:31 PM(UTC)
Spaceant

StorkBite, One thing has not mentioned clearly though..... the internet speed test websites are in UK or US(?) which is overseas to me as I am staying in HK... the connection speed with my data provider may be much faster... I couldn't find a local speed test website to conduct the test.... but my feeling is that it is not the key reason as I have another real time quote which can run smoothly with 13 tabs (they can it tabs, similar to layouts in MS) and 5 other pages..... each tabs with 3 charts in different time frames (e.g. 1-min, 5-min & 15-min), with a similar set of indicators attached as MS does for each chart, around 8 indications, but without expert advisor attached.... the program is running smoothly and data is consistantly faster than MS as you may not believe it.... additional information can be referred to .... http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?p=18220#18220 hope you can help me to fix it, I can accept MS running perhaps not very smoothly, but not shutting down in every 10-15 mins..... sa