logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
theghost  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2006 5:14:50 PM(UTC)
theghost

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

|I hope someone can help me. I'm looking to screen stocks that are moving up without alot of Volatility, and I just don't know how to do it in Metastock. I would like it to show me stocks that have an Efficiency Ratio greater than 15 only, anything less than this figure I wouldn't want the socks shown in the list (To keep the list small). The way I would like to do this is as follows, there are a couple of ways to do this, but I think the way I am about to explain would be the best all round. And just before I explain what the criteria would be, I will quickly explain why I would like to have this screener in Metastock. 1 reason could be if you started an account with a small amount of equity, and you don't want to get blown out of the game in a short while, 1 method is to look for high probability trades. So this screen will find stocks that are steadily rising with low volitility, in which 2 moving averages can be added to their respective charts and entry points made to buy on the pull backs to their longer timeframe moving average. This is just 1 method, that would lower the risk, as well as being a high probability trade. Ok, as to the criteria, if someone can come up with the Metastock Exploration from the following it would be most appreciated. The Exploration would look at the change in price over 4 different time periods and then divide that change by the average true range ATR over the same periods. The average of the 4 different effciencies would then give you the best overall efficiency. (Anything over 15 would be classed as efficient, though you would always have to look at the chart as well:-)). Anything under 15 could be just disregarded and not shown in the final results list. (Maybe also if you could have the facility to have this as a variable to set before you run the exploration, ie so that whilst it returns stocks with the average column always showing 15 or more, you could have an imput box in which this could be altered to return values of 14 and above or say 13 and above etc). The screen would have 7 columns. 1. Symbol (Ticker or name of stock) 2.Close (Closing Price) 3. Efficiency (180 days) 4. Efficiency (90 days) 5. Efficiency (45 days) 6. Efficiency (20 days) 7. Average (The average of the above 4 Efficiencies) I hope this all makes sense and someone can help. Many thanks TheGhost :)
wiked  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2006 10:34:59 PM(UTC)
wiked

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

The first column will the the name of the security as MetaStock always puts this first. MetaStock also always puts the ticker symbol and the path to the data in the last two columns. Therefore, you only need to add 6 columns, whick is all Metastock allows. The code for the columns would be: Column A C Column B Roc(c,180,$)/ATR(180) Column C Roc(c,90,$)/ATR(90) Column D Roc(c,45,$)/ATR(45) Column E Roc(c,20,$)/ATR(20) column F ((Roc(c,180,$)/ATR(180))+ (Roc(c,90,$)/ATR(90))+ (Roc(c,45,$)/ATR(45))+ (Roc(c,20,$)/ATR(20)))/4 Filter COLE>=15 The last formula for the filter is what will limit the return to only those securities who average is 15 or greater.
theghost  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2006 6:06:05 AM(UTC)
theghost

Thanks for the quick reply"Wiked". I've just got in from work 5am and checked my emails and seen your reply. I've gone into Metastock and entered everything as you've stated in your post. It's almost there but I think it isn't quite right. I think it's with the column F and possibly the Filter. When I ran the exploration it should return stocks with an average efficiency greater than or equal to 15 . This should show in the last column (Column F which I would rename Average). I think the filter is possibly wrong as it is labelled COLE ?? But Column E is the 20 day column which isn't going to be filtered any differently than B,C or D.? I think the Filter should be related to Column F? The Average? I might be wrong, but is this correct? Also at present with the current formula settings the Average (Column F) can return negative values which it shouldn't. It should return only values 15 or greater. I attach an excel spreadsheet of a small Exploration on some stocks with the formula you posted. I think you will be able to see some mistakes, ie negative values in column F (Which I would relabel Average), when these should be values of 15 or greater. Hope this makes sense. P.S. (Not quite sure in Column F what the $ is for?). Sorry for my ignorance.:-) Hope you can help. TheGhost
StorkBite  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2006 9:31:35 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
TG- Just change COLE>=15 to COLF>=15. The ROC function is described in the Help Menu, the user's manual and the Formula Primer. You should also check out these sources and the Video Library for examples on how to set up Explorations.
theghost  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2006 2:13:39 PM(UTC)
theghost

Thanks for the quick reply Stockman. I did look in the metastock help. I typed in "$" and nothing came up. I also typed in "ROC" and nothing came up. Since reading your reply I have tried again and it islisted in the help menu under "Functions". :-) I was looking in the wrong place. Whilst I'm here, does anybody have any other idea about how to search for so called "EfficientStocks", socks that have low Volatility, and dont devieate away from their mean too much? I'm looking for stocks that would give a chart picture of a steady uptrend that aren't all over the place. I'll attach a picture. Thanks for the quick reply. I will definately look at the video library now you mention it. TheGhost