logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macm  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:18:48 AM(UTC)
macm

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Is it possible use "system tester" to run Correlation of two securities? I plot the Correlation indicator like Metastock Say: 1. Select the two plots that you want to correlate (i.e., two indicators, a price plot and an indicator, or two price plots). Select the first plot (the independent variable) by simply clicking on it. Select the second plot (the dependent variable) by holding down the SHIFT key and clicking on it. Small square handles will appear on the plots indicating that they are selected. 2. Drag the Correlation indicator from the Indicator QuickList and drop it on the chart. I use $XOI and XOM (same window) Now I would like to run this correlation in "System Tester". I know create "system tester" So I would like to create something like : Buy if "correlation ($XOI and XOM)" > 0.90 .... Is it possible? Best Regards macm
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:05:10 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Have a look in your MS Users Manual, in the MSFL section for Correlation Analysis.
The Bible wrote:
The formula "correl( macd(), CLOSE, 5, 10 )" compares the MACD indicator to the closing price 10-periods[size=18:c08732b371] [color=red:c08732b371]in the future[/color][/size:c08732b371], after statistically averaging each data array over the preceding 5-periods.
In my book this makes correl() untradable, just as LastValue(), Peak(), Trough() and Zig() are untradable. wabbit :D
macm  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:27:32 PM(UTC)
macm

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I understand. But in your sample it is to the same securitie. I can do this for one share like XOM. I am asking for TWO SECURITIES like $XOI and XOM. How can I test both?
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:36:23 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
If I understand your predicament correctly, you can use the Security() function: x:=Security("D:\\MetaStock Data\\$XOI",C); y:=Security("D:\\MetaStock Data\\XOM",C); z:=Correl(x,y,5,10); z; wabbit :D