logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Justin  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2007 8:56:37 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Have you tried the View-->Full Desktop option?
PTJim  
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:45:38 AM(UTC)
PTJim

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Pyradius wrote:
Have you tried the View-->Full Desktop option?

Yes I have, as well as View/Full Screen. Both sort of blow it up.

To recap, I have 4 displays: a 23" widescreen sitting on top of and centered above three identical 19" displays arranged horizontally. An inverted-T. Windows XPPro "understands" this arrangement; I used the desktop Properties so the logical arrangement matches the physical layout, and it knows each monitor's resolution so that Windows won't let my cursor or apps be placed outside the 4 displays. Except for MetaStock.

View/Full Screen puts the top 5% or so of MS (the title bar and menu bar) on the bottom of the top monitor, the bottom 95% is placed on the middle display. Using the Windows Minimize/Maximize buttons, though, works fine; it properly confines MS fullscreen on the current display and works differently from MS's View/Full Screen.

View/Full Desktop is really weird - almost all of MS outside the desktop disappears - it looks as if MS treats my desktop as if 3 displays were arranged horizontally on top of 3 other horizontal monitors. Since there are no upper-left and upper-right displays, I lose 2 of the 6 displays MS apparently thinks I have, as well as all menu bars and controls with them.

As a result, in Full Desktop mode I completely lose control of MS since the menus/controls are gone - fortunately I can use the Windows Toolbar to access the MS icon, then use Restore to re-confine it to one display, and proceed.

If you can set this up in your lab, it might be useful for testing purposes; 4-monitor cards are relatively common and pretty affordable these days. My inverted-T is probably fairly unusual; I bet most 4-monitor users just set them up in a square configuration, but this works much better for me. If you could map MS to the Windows logical desktop it would help - some apps I have span the bottom 3 displays and ignore the top one; I can live with that. I can send you a photo of the setup and can take shots of the above results if it's at all confusing.

So thainks for the suggestion, but neither Full Screen nor Full Desktop mode work for me. It is possible to stretch MS across the bottom 3 displays, but the main window then obscures everything else. I would love to be able to split off Inner Windows and move them to various monitors, sharing the desktop with other apps. A quick-n-dirty fix would be allowing multiple instances of MS to be loaded.

hayseed  
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2007 6:03:30 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jim.... yeah its the t shape causing the issue and there is no way 'today' around it.... well,,,, scratch that,,,,, .... there is one way.....

sure wish some buy one and let us know how well it works........ priscilla would invert my head if i ordered one first......h

PTJim  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:20:54 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Heh, heh.

Actually, a tube that big with that resolution would be pretty useless in my opinion for an individual's work - not enough dots, and they'd be too far apart. Would make for cool presentations and movies, though.

My Dad just got one of these, which is how I got his 23" HP widescreen.

Note the 2560 x 1600 resolution, which is a lot of dots in that space to make it very useful, and gives you plenty of real estate to lay out big and/or many windows to play with. Sitting at a PC-user distance, the thing looks like a billboard on the side of the highway - huuuuuuge. And way cool.

I'm sure spoiled with 4 displays; you get addicted to real estate quicklike. And these days it's not very expensive to do; I got the last of my 3 19" Princetons (to match the other two) for US$150 on eBay, in brand-new condition.