logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ophelia_hardin  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:33:22 AM(UTC)
Ophelia_hardin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi ya'll, A couple questions for the peanut gallery, since it's been so dead of late. (I assume everyone's been trading the hell out of the gold stocks!) I currently run MSWIN 9.1 RT using dual monitors and an older Matrox G550 dual-dvi card with two Viewsonic VG17b monitors using DVI. Because the video card has only 32 Mb memory, I'm getting increasingly slow response times with the video refresh as my RT charts get more complex. (The rest of the system is not in question; trust me...) 1. I'd dearly love to go to 4 digital monitors -- anyone have some leads on how to accomplish this using Windows 2000 without breaking the bank? 2. If I can't get to 4 monitors, anyone have a recommendation for a better AGP video card which will support dual-DVI? I've skimmed the specs on newer Matrox cards, but they don't seem to offer a whole lot of improvement, though I may have missed something. Thanks, Jim
StorkBite  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:50:46 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hey Ophelia- Welcome to the forum! Hayseed is our resident expert with monitors and such. Hopefully he'll run into this post and give you some first hand info. I have dual dvi capabilities, but use only one monitor. Look at the NVIDIA Quadro line. I'm not sure what's in your budget, but they seem pretty reasonable.
Ophelia_hardin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:17:31 AM(UTC)
Ophelia_hardin

Grazie on the NVIDIA Quadro line. Will check it out... Regards, jim
vince  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:11:19 AM(UTC)
vince

Just run 2 output PCI video cards ..... I have 8 monitors on the one machine atm....no problems... have 4 radeon 9600 128meg cards about 90 bucks AUD each.... Works fine.... cheers
Ophelia_hardin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2005 12:30:57 AM(UTC)
Ophelia_hardin

Vince, are you using WindowsXP or Windows 2000? I'd like to stick with Windows 2000, and prefer to use AGP or the new PCIe hardware because it's relatively faster; although I love the Radeon 9600 AIW I have on another machine.
konrad  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2005 4:21:11 AM(UTC)
konrad

I want to connect 2 monitor into one PC to see a Metastock on two monitor... I try connect by video spiter but it show the same screen shot here is what I use: http://www.tigerdirect.c...p?EdpNo=506041&CatId=317 I have a 2 monitor one 19" one 17" and I like to connect it to one PC(hard drive) What I need to buy? some video card? I have no idea with one there are thousand of video card... My pc can support 8 x 128 mb graphic card... my video card is: Intel Graphic Media Accelator 900 http://www.tigerdirect.c...ategory_tlc.asp?CatId=28 this web site contain a graphic card? with one to choose? I got limit knowledge about PC..... What operation system I need to have to split those 2 monitor? I use now XP home edition also, I purchase XP proffesional What I have to do to upgrade from Home edition to pro edition without loose anything in computer, no delete data, no defragment disk is that possible? also after connect 2 monitor into one pc how this will look like only one keyboard and one mouse I can use? it will look like 2 seperate pc with only one mouse and one keyboard? sorry, I am weak about computer...... :( if you need any more information let me know about my pc and were I can find those neeed information about my pc Thank you everyone for any suggestion and help!!!
Patrick  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2005 7:30:06 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just grab any video cards with dual outputs ... as long as it is Nvidia or ati you will be fine ... It is not like you are playing video games with your pc ... Patrick :mrgreen:
konrad  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2005 2:56:43 PM(UTC)
konrad

I like to find some info if the metastock pro 9.0 for esignal if have the ability to a doual video multiple task video management Thank you
StorkBite  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 2, 2005 11:01:35 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Yes... infact, Hayseed has several posts about this type of setup. :D
konrad  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2005 1:03:21 AM(UTC)
konrad

G.stockman can you send me a link regarding those Hayseed setup? I try to find it on forum, but I unable to find it... Thank you!!!
StorkBite  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2005 3:19:43 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Well... with the search index limping, we are all suffering together. Just post your questions here. Seems like we've talked about everything from several monitors, to one huge monitor, to projection systems. I'm sure someone can steer you in the right direction. My experience is with Nvidia graphics. The cards are top performers. While mine has dual video outputs, I only use one monitor. I can barely keep up with it! Anyway, when I hit the lotto, I'm getting a flat panel LCD that I can see from my living room sofa! 8:-)
hayseed  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2005 4:48:25 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey konrad.... like patrick said, just grab any good dual output video card.... thats if your using standard box computor.... its easy swap out but to be safe it might pay to have someone familiar with changing cards handy.... i have moved completly to the dell inspiron 9300's media editions with nvida geforce 6800 card's.... laptops have the extra video output already installed.... just plug in the 2nd monitor.... then control panel -> appearance and themes -> display -> settings to add it.... all your doing is increasing your monitor size... the same mouse and keypad works both.... you can strech meta across both which dramaticly improves the chart work area... the dell 26" monitor can be turned sideways which allows tremendous increase in chart length..... i don't like having meta, quotecenter and power etrade all running on the same machine, so i use separate laptops.... thats just my preference..... prior to the 9300's i used the 8600's which are nice but the screens are smaller.... if your interested in running 3 to 9 monitors its best to use the box cases...... my box computers now days are used for storage only.... my situation allows for computor excess's, as will be seen shortly....h
konrad  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2005 1:46:59 PM(UTC)
konrad

Thank you Hayseed and G.stockman, and also Patrick
Spaceant  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2005 9:25:28 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Hi Hayseed, G_stockman and Patrick, I am totally new to this and would like to clarify or ask the following questios:- 1) Can I add more that one dual dvi video card to display more screen? My computer is P4, CPU is 2.53 GHz, 1024 MB ram, 200 G harddisk, using window XP pro. Also, I am using meta pro 9.0 realtime. Sometimes, there is a message saying that meta has a difficulty in updating the data or having a difficult in updating the expect advisor, especially the market is fast and quick. For your info, I trade local stock that constitute more that 4000 stocks, plus some foreign exhange data... Will it improve the data updating efficiency if I delete some of the curren trading stocks that I am not interested and probably some of the forex data? will that help? Any other recommendation to improve the data updating efficiency as the CPU sometimes shows 100% usage, mainly for ms?? 2) If I have installed a dual dvi card, does it mean that I can view two separate meta "layouts" in two monitors? 3) Anyone has the experience of having more than 3 monitors while having the etrade software installed in the same computer? What is the PC specification then? Thks sa
Patrick  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2005 2:23:59 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
1) the difficulty in updating the data has nothing to do with the display so adding a dual video will work fine and will not slow down your computer. Recommendation for the data updating effienciency, the hard drive, buy one of the fastest hard drives on the market ... Maybe two SCSI and use a raid 0 ... 2) Yes ... 3) I have not used E-trade etc ... When you are dealing with display, 1,2, 3 monitors, your pc perormance are not critical, your video card is what matters ... Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2005 2:33:03 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Hey SpaceAnt-
layouts" in two monitors[/quote wrote:
Make sure that your video card supports the use of both connectors at the same time- not just one of the connections or the other one. Just because it has VGA/DVI or DVI/DVI or other combinations does not mean that you can use them together. If you can use them together, then as Hayseed has explained, your screen width is effectively increased. As such, you will be able to display more info on the screen. Multiple layouts should be a breeze. I can do that on a single monitor. :D
hayseed  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2005 2:55:17 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey spaceant.... you can add cards as long as there is the proper slot free in your computer.... as a rule there should be at least one slot free..... now days the box makers are having to cut costs to compete with dell so open slots might eventually go the way of the dodo bird and passenger pigeon's.... several people in the past have mentioned the cpu strain issue, patrick has mentioned some things to check such as your realtime files, i have not experinced that problem so can't be much help..... i've ran etrade on multiple panel displays with no problems other than the potential for metastock's alert's to hinder placing orders.... by that i mean no matter which side monitor metastock is on, the alerts take precendence on your main screen and must be checked off repeadtly..... or the alert removed.... that gets in the way of placing orders.... my solution is simply to run quotcecenter and meta on one multi-panel machine with etrade and option express running on another..... i have all types of computers , from the cheap-o hp's from walmart to the top line dells and those in between..... personally i can't see any difference between any of them when used for metastock, quotecenter or any of etrades platforms.... my situation allows for them, but multi-panel and multi-machines have not improved my trading in anyway..... meta however has kept me from trading extinction..... if ya know what i mean.......h
hayseed  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2005 3:16:41 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey spaceant... patrick and g both answered while i was typing.... hayseeds must be real slow.... yeah, its a southern thing..... you will be able to stretch meta to where one layout will be on one monitor and a second layout on the second monitor but meta's perimiter can not be broken in the manner in which quotecenters can.... in meta, all charts, layouts, web pages or whatever was pulled up in it must stay in meta's borders..... and if you used the 'control + print screen' command, it would appear as one huge screen.... h
scorpio883  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2007 6:45:39 AM(UTC)
scorpio883

Thanks Hayseed
I never thought it was possible to display MS on more than one monitor until I saw your post.
PTJim  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:05:49 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I use this card from PNY to drive 4 monitors on my Dell XPS Gen4 with XPPro SP2 - it's an inverted-T setup with three Princeton VL193 19" monitors arranged horizontally on the bottom in 1280x1024, and an HP 2335 23" widescreen centered above them in 1920x1200. Works beautifully!

It'd be even better, much better, if my MetaStock 9.1EOD would advance to the modern era of multimonitor setups and be able to be split up into screen modules instead of just stretching. I use it either stretched across two of the lower screens, or fullscreen on the 23" widescreen on top, depending on what I'm doing. Still trying to find a way to open another instance of MS to simulate separate modules, but it looks like a virtual-machine software setup may be necessary to make that happen.

Highly, highly recommend the PNY card; it's terrific (shop around; I got an open-box copy with $60 in optional DVI cables included for $385 - about half of the full retail price). And hoping for a "real" MS upgrade someday instead of a few small tweaks every few years.