logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
C1Miller  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2005 2:41:15 AM(UTC)
C1Miller

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I am new to the program could anybody please give me some helpful information on which indicators to use and explorers to run to make efficient trading oportunities. Thanks for any information. :?:
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2005 11:45:33 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey c1..... first, your probably in the right place at the right time .... second, your use of the term 'efficient' was a wise choice.... every indicator has its strengths's and weakness's.... they all can appear to misslead at times... while i watch dozens, if had to choose only 5 they would be , macd, stoch, rsi, p sar, and inertia..... and i have studied those intensly.... the indicators in meta are similar to those in common use elsewhere, such as clearstation or stockcharts.com.... the huge difference is that here you can easily in seconds change the parameters.... or try to invent your own.... in the explorers, the ones that seem to work best for me are the ones that are in sync with the overall market direction at that time.... market direction as determined by the summations and summation oscillators.... the summations turned down several weeks back so my explorations are leaning towards the short side.... so 2 weeks ago i started exploring for macd sells.... rsi sells and so on.... have always admired those that sell into strength or buy in to weakness, but the truth of the matter is i can not.... i have to trade with the trend, as seen by the summations..... your question was far to important to end here so i post more later and perhaps others will also..... h
hayseed  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2005 1:22:45 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey c1.... you mentioned 'efficient'..... thats a good point.... using the equis macd expert as an example, every day if it were attached to the 5 or 15 minute charts it would give several buy/sells... short time frames while very usefull can be less effecient than longer times frames, such as the 60 minute or daily.... similar to comparing the efficiecy of a snub nose 38 revolver to a long barrel rifle.... both can be very accurate but that short barrel/time frame requires a steady hand .... your time is important, so factor that in also.... you didn't mention experts, but don't underestimate them.... using the experts, which are nothing more than trading rules, can keep you from shooting from the hip.... don't over look the line studies.... raff regression channels and the like can be valuable..... meta has really improved my effeciency.... now if only patrick could write a dll that would reach out and whack my hand when i get impatient...... h
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2005 6:01:25 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
You might want to peruse the article on TA indicators, located here: http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?t=1166 wabbit :D
hayseed  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2005 12:46:37 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey c1.... got your mail..... for the second time you have wisely chosen words, fairly reliable ..... being relatively new to meta myself, 18 months, there are others here that would be much better at system suggestions..... really have not gotten deep into system creation yet ..... my trading hinges on patience and common sense which might be a tad bit hard for me to put into metastock language, but i fully intend to try..... you might recall in my prior post here, the summations turned down several weeks back so my explorations are leaning towards the short side, any system i try to develope for the dia or spy will at least have some version of the summations in it..... they are faily reliable..... it also would have to be applied to a template or layout with the broad markets 10, 20 and 40 week cycles applied along with a couple other items like vix.... cycles and vix are also fairly reliable ..... my system for securites like 'csco' or 'intc' would need the ability to allow individual indicators to be in the equation at some point yet out at others..... that should be easy enough.... i'll give it more thought and post back.....h
hayseed  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:41:57 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey c1.... the % change would fluctuate around 0 for both volume and price change..... below would be something like you were thinkin about... copy/paste the blue code in you indicator builder and name it....
[color=red:d05755e6ef]c1 indicator[/color]
[color=blue:d05755e6ef]pds:=Input( "Periods", 1 {Minimum}, 20 {Maximum}, 15 {Default} ); plot:=Input("[1]c1close, [2]c1volume",1,2,2); {the percentage the price has went up or down} c1close:=((C-Ref(C,-pds))/Ref(C,-pds))*100; {the percentage the price has went up or down} c1volume:=((V-Ref(V,-pds))/Ref(V,-pds))*100; If(plot=1,c1close,If(plot=2,c1volume,C))[/color]
the explorer might be; column a ((C-Ref(C,-1))/Ref(C,-1))*100 column b ((C-Ref(C,-2))/Ref(C,-2))*100 column c ((C-Ref(C,-3))/Ref(C,-3))*100 column d ((C-Ref(C,-4))/Ref(C,-4))*100 column e ((C-Ref(C,-5))/Ref(C,-5))*100 column f ((C-Ref(C,-15))/Ref(C,-15))*100 that would return the % changes for those days back..... not sure if thats what you had in mind...... my coding expertise is limited as of yet....h