logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ruethewhirl  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:41:31 AM(UTC)
ruethewhirl

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I have set up a default template in Metastock, with the periodicity set to weekly. Whenever I open a new security, the periodicity defaults to daily. How do I force the periodicity to weekly? This is very frustrating because I have to manually change the periodicity to weekly on every chart I open, then hit save. Please help.
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:26:12 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
did you select "use template's periodicity" in options after clicking on file open, open with template? I seem to recall this problem, maybe you could create 1 weekly local data file and always open that chart first when you want to look at weekly data ... Patrick PS: What version of MetaStock are you using?
hayseed  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:04:35 AM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey ruethewhirl.... it seems patrick has answered your question, for not having the "use template's periodicity" box checked when applying a template does exactly like your describing.... but this is such a good subject please let me throw in some things in here that took me awhile to understand ..... i have a folder named technology that has about 1700 tech stocks.... if i apply a template to ibm as in that link, use expand if it shrinks, i can scroll through all 1700 using the arrow/choose security buttons on the lower right or the arrow/choose security buttons under file at the top left and the template applies..... if i use 'open file', the template will not be applied automaticaly..... now 'ibm' is also in my s&p 500 folder.... so you would think you could also scroll through it.... nope.... the folder that you opened the security in is the only one that will scroll through... so if i want to scroll through the s&p 500 i have to open that 'ibm' and apply my template, or any other security in the s&p of course.... once i understood the folder rules and arranged them to suit my needs, everything got much easier.....h
ruethewhirl  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:11:10 AM(UTC)
ruethewhirl

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Patrick, If I set up a template with the periodicity set to weekly, and then apply that template to an exisiting chart, all is well, the periodicity is set to weekly. I'm talking about the default template. If a security has never been opened before, and the default template is applied, as it is to all securities that havn't been opened before - the periodicity on the new chart will be set to daily. The underlying data is daily. Applying a template to the new chart with the periodicity set to weeklytakes more time than changing the periodicity manually on the new chart. I have checked out the apply exisiting periodicity function but it only works if you apply the default template to an exisiting chart. If anyone knows of a setting that allows the periodicity to be set to new, never been opened charts I would be very grateful.