logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveB  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2005 9:03:51 AM(UTC)
SteveB

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I have Pro 8.0 that I just started using very recently. I am working with a little over 7000 symbols. The help section stated that I have to set up folders for these in order to Download the prices (I am using it as EOD only for now) but that each folder can have a max of 2000 symbols. So, I set up 4 different folders...1 for A-C, another D-K, etc. This does not create a problem when updating as I just include all 4 folders but it is a bit of a pain in Metastock when I am pulling up charts. If I just type in a symbol when I have another chart up, it has to be in the same folder for the new one to come up. Otherwise, I have to go to File/Open, change the folder to look in and then type in the symbol. Is this the way it's supposed to be or have I set it up wrong. Thanks for any help on this. Steve
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2005 3:14:48 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is the way it is supposed to be. I would tell you to add all of these into a favorite folder but that creates some other problems as well :? You could try it though but if you do make sure to copy or backup the msfavorites.dta file from your equis folder Patrick
SteveB  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2005 4:15:54 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Thanks for the help Patrick. I'll try the favorites folder and see what happens. It's such a good program otherwise...I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong. Thanks again. Steve
hayseed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:40:24 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey steve... have seen that question before and was hoping patrick would have a solution..... an awkward way around that issue is to have all 4 folders open at the same time.... if you were open one chart from each folder then create/save a layout using those 4, in a since all folders would be now open..... opening that layout later and highlighting the first chart would allow you to open any security in that folder.... highlighting the 2nd chart would allow the 2nd folder and so on.... having them arranged alphabetically makes it somewhat easier..... that is not the answer you were hoping for of course......h
SteveB  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:06:03 AM(UTC)
SteveB

Hayseed, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try as it sounds like a good idea. I've come to the realization that I should probably add a folder for the stocks I check most often (ones I own and the ones I'm watching closely) and use it. All the others can stay in the alphabetical folders. Thanks again! Steve
SteveB  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2005 7:52:44 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Patrick wrote:
I would tell you to add all of these into a favorite folder but that creates some other problems as well.
Patrick, I wasn't too worried about this statement before as I just kept everything the way it was originally in the 4 separate folders. Now that I'm used to it, it's really no problem. That is the way I am still doing it and will continue to do. However, what I have done today is made 1 folder in my Favorites of all the stocks from those 4 folders and named it "Explore List". I am going to use this new one only for scanning stocks when using Explorer (to save me from adding all the stocks from each folder every time I use it). I will still download EOD data to the original 4 folders and also use them to pull up the charts on each stock I look at. Will what I've done bring up the problems you mentioned above or will I be ok if I do as I have stated? Thanks Steve
Patrick  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2005 8:09:12 PM(UTC)
Patrick

The problem I was referring to, occurs when you have more than 2000 securities in your favorites list, it sometimes becomes corrupted and you loose all your favorites ... That is why I said that should make a backup of the file. Now is this going to happen to you? Not necessarily but it does happen ... and when and if it does you will be ready with your backup :D
SteveB  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2005 8:26:53 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Thanks once again Patrick. Steve
SteveB  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:52:58 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Patrick wrote:
make sure to copy or backup the msfavorites.dta file from your equis folder
Patrick, I am backing up all my Metastock data today to be safe. I seem to have everything but the msfavorites.dta folder you mention above. It is not in the Program Files\\Equis folder at all (in the main folder or any of the sub folders). I then searched my entire hard drive for it through WinXP and it did not find it yet all the stocks I added to favorites yesterday are still there in Metastock. Am I supposed to do something from within Metastock to get it in the Equis folder? I should mention that there is no favorites folder in C:\\Metastock Data either...just the 4 folders that I originally created along with Dataondemand cache. Is this right? Steve
Patrick  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:59:43 PM(UTC)
Patrick

It is only one file called msfavorites.dta and is located in C:\\Program Files\\equis\\Metastock
SteveB  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 10:16:18 PM(UTC)
SteveB

I found it. For some reason, it's named simply favorites.dta on my system for whatever reason. I was searching for msfavorites and jumped right down to the m's. In any case, I think I'm all set now. Thanks yet again!! Steve
Patrick  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2005 3:57:39 PM(UTC)
Patrick

The reason is that I was wrong the file name is favorites.dta Sorry about that :oops:
monotonicus  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2005 2:23:56 AM(UTC)
monotonicus

I am interested in Patrick's last question...sounds like you have a solution to the exploration problem of having to crawl through all the folders to select securities. And the 2000 limit explains equis folder structure. Have you had problems with the single folder with all securities in it for the sole purpose of explorations?
monotonicus  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2005 2:25:55 AM(UTC)
monotonicus

Sorry, that was SteveB with the novel approach...
SteveB  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2005 4:19:26 AM(UTC)
SteveB

monotonicus wrote:
Sorry, that was SteveB with the novel approach...
It's worked fine for me so far without any problems and I use it every day. I back it up every time I make any changes but I have not yet needed to restore the backup! I weeded out a lot of the low volume stocks from the original list but I still have well over 2000 stocks in that folder. Steve B
monotonicus  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2005 8:28:15 PM(UTC)
monotonicus

Thanks, that's helpful. I am thinking this file management question is mainly from us who are just getting to know Metastock and that once we are settled in, we have our trading universe (that may reform occasionally) that is much smaller than 7K-14K securities, based on volume, most recent trade date, and price, e.g. The smaller the working set the faster things work, like downloads and explorations, both of which I hate waiting for. I have tripped over complexity and volume of data issues in the past, and feel motivated to keep it simple. I am going to try constructing a trading universe of manageable size, and revisit it once a quarter or so. And then use it for everything. It should be possible to construct an exploration that will elimate the "worst half" the universe.