logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
metastockchris  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 2:44:49 PM(UTC)
metastockchris

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I'm trying to download data for the USA OTCBB Bulletin Board Pink Sheet Stocks. When I go to the OTCBB folder it only has 2 holdings with the extention .OB.  I submitted a ticket this week and I was told the extention would be .PK for these stocks, but none of them are in my database.

I found this link and tried running that utility, but it didn't seem to do anything:

https://www.metastock.com/customer/support/download/Symbols.aspx

Bulletin Board(DataLink).exe  (148K, Last Updated:9/8/2020)

This self-extracting zip file contains DataLink Bulletin Board symbols for use in all versions of The Downloader and MetaStock. When extracting save the file to The DownLoader folder. The file will appear in your symbol database. Due to a bug in The DownLoader symbol creation code, you must use this file for DataLink Bulletin Board stock symbols. Download File

Does anyone know how to make this work? Thanks in advance.

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 4:37:59 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: metastockchris Go to Quoted Post

I'm trying to download data for the USA OTCBB Bulletin Board Pink Sheet Stocks. When I go to the OTCBB folder it only has 2 holdings with the extention .OB.  I submitted a ticket this week and I was told the extention would be .PK for these stocks, but none of them are in my database.

I found this link and tried running that utility, but it didn't seem to do anything:

https://www.metastock.com/customer/support/download/Symbols.aspx

Bulletin Board(DataLink).exe  (148K, Last Updated:9/8/2020)

This self-extracting zip file contains DataLink Bulletin Board symbols for use in all versions of The Downloader and MetaStock. When extracting save the file to The DownLoader folder. The file will appear in your symbol database. Due to a bug in The DownLoader symbol creation code, you must use this file for DataLink Bulletin Board stock symbols. Download File

Does anyone know how to make this work? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, the file you downloaded is not really relevant to users of the latest DownLoader (it simply extracts .SYM (TXT) files that contain the same symbols but for users of our legacy DownLoader).

My instructions are going to assume you have our new DownLoader application (i.e. Help > About in DownLoader shows 16 or 17).

The first thing to ensure is that your instrument lists are up-to-date. This is done on the same page you mentioned previously, https://www.metastock.com/customer/support/download/Symbols.aspx. The particular file is the MetaStock D/C and R/T MetaStock 12 and Later Instrument List Utility.

One you have installed the latest instrument lists, you would want to have a folder Added to the DownLoader Console for collecting the OTCMarket data. Once you have added this folder (if prompted for data type, you can choose MSLocal (Latest format) or Legacy (older MetaStock format)) you can right-click on the folder and choose "Create new security...".

Within the next dialogue, you will want to check-mark the "Multiple Selections" checkbox, then click the "Look-up" button. You would then want to expand the Public Online Data Lists > Equities - North America > OTC Pink Sheets. You can select individual pink sheet symbols, or you can simply checkmark OTC Pink Sheets to select all the symbols underneath and then click the Select button.

This should bring you back to the New Security... dialogue. Click OK to create these selected securities within the folder listed. You can then checkmark all these securities in DownLoader Console and download them.

--

If you are using our older (Legacy) DownLoader application, there is a separate symbol database file for DownLoader 11 users (Symbol11.exe) on the page listed above that you can install. Within the old DownLoader, the symbols would show up under File > New > Security > Look-Up, setting the Type field to "Stocks - Americas" and the Group field to "Pink Sheets". You can then click Select All / OK and set a Folder to place them in and click OK to create.

Edited by user Monday, September 14, 2020 4:51:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

metastockchris  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 4:51:54 PM(UTC)
metastockchris

Thank you, this worked!
metastockchris  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 12:17:46 PM(UTC)
metastockchris

I'm having one little issue.

The downloader seems to be limited to 6,000 stocks in one folder, but there are about 16,000 stocks in the pink sheet folder.

I created 3 folders in the downloader (A-J, K-R,S-Z).

However it will not let me select a range of stocks to add and the search filter doesn't seem to allow wild card searches with an *.

Is there a way I can search and select multiple securities to add?

I don't want to have to select them one at a time because that would take forever.

Thank you.

MS Support  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2020 3:19:01 PM(UTC)
MS Support

I'm having one little issue.

The downloader seems to be limited to 6,000 stocks in one folder, but there are about 16,000 stocks in the pink sheet folder.

I created 3 folders in the downloader (A-J, K-R,S-Z).

However it will not let me select a range of stocks to add and the search filter doesn't seem to allow wild card searches with an *.

Is there a way I can search and select multiple securities to add?

I don't want to have to select them one at a time because that would take forever.

Thank you.

Hi again and I apologize about that. There is a limitation on our Legacy format (6,000 securities per folder). We will be addressing multi-selection of Instruments in DownLoader in an upcoming release which will make this easier (basically you will be able to shift-click a range of instruments within a list).

MSLocal has a much larger security limit so you would not run into this issue using MSLocal format, although I understand people may use Legacy for compatibility with other applications.

metastockchris  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2020 3:54:19 PM(UTC)
metastockchris

Thank you. I see. Do you have any idea when the update will be coming out? I am using Amibroker and I don't think it works with the MSLocal format. I really don't want to have to go find another data provider. Thank you.

MS Support  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:02:36 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Thank you. I see. Do you have any idea when the update will be coming out? I am using Amibroker and I don't think it works with the MSLocal format. I really don't want to have to go find another data provider. Thank you.

Hi again. The next update we're hoping will be by the end of the year. However, I think we might want a different option to make building lists easier for this task. I will send a message about getting this set up.