logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mokwit  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 11:31:34 AM(UTC)
Mokwit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

This should be simple but I have not coded MS for 10 years and only coded explorations.

I am short sighted and want to sit back and go through charts one aat a time- SO: because the stock ticker displayed in the top and bottom bar is way too small for me to see I need an indicator(expert?) that will write each stock symbol for each chart on the chart in maybe 1" high letters e.g. AAPL in 1" high letters on the chart (maybe font that large not available but BIG FONT selectable).

A de luxe version would vary the positioning depending on where the bars were e.g. If stock gone up from bottom left top top right then locate symbol text Bottom right, if stock goes down from top left to bottom right then locate symbol text top right. i.e. does not get obscured by price chart bars is what I am really aiming for.

I realise I am 'on the scrounge' with this in asking someone to do my coding for me, but I have to re-learn MS and also chart indicators which I did little of - could take me days and someone on this forum 5 minutes........................ Hope you understand.

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 11:48:20 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The primitive MetaStock formula language doesn't facilitate writing custom values or data to the user interface; even using the MDK prohibits this. An alternative, and it will help your general computer use, is to customise your operating system to use a larger and/or more readable font in the Windows title bar.
Mokwit  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 12:08:10 PM(UTC)
Mokwit

Great stuff Wabbit as you have saved me wasting time trying to find a way to do something that can't be done. Many thanks.

wabbit  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 2:20:45 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
No problems.
MS Support  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:25:47 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mokwit Go to Quoted Post

This should be simple but I have not coded MS for 10 years and only coded explorations.

I am short sighted and want to sit back and go through charts one aat a time- SO: because the stock ticker displayed in the top and bottom bar is way too small for me to see I need an indicator(expert?) that will write each stock symbol for each chart on the chart in maybe 1" high letters e.g. AAPL in 1" high letters on the chart (maybe font that large not available but BIG FONT selectable).

A de luxe version would vary the positioning depending on where the bars were e.g. If stock gone up from bottom left top top right then locate symbol text Bottom right, if stock goes down from top left to bottom right then locate symbol text top right. i.e. does not get obscured by price chart bars is what I am really aiming for.

I realise I am 'on the scrounge' with this in asking someone to do my coding for me, but I have to re-learn MS and also chart indicators which I did little of - could take me days and someone on this forum 5 minutes........................ Hope you understand.

Via formula, you could use the Expert Commentary to display the symbol with a font/size of your choosing. In version 11 and prior, the "Menu" Font size through Windows (Inactive Menu on older versions of Windows) could also be used to control the Chart Title Bar size. Versions 12 and later the chart title bar size is fixed so it doesn't play as nice when you force the font size larger. But it is true that you cannot program text into a chart directly via custom indicator.

Mokwit  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:27:05 PM(UTC)
Mokwit

I'm on P434 of Metastock user manual where it covers plotting values and text As far as I can tell need to write a formula for expert commentary in Metastock code language that plots the symbol only plots the symbol once rather than above every bar showing the condition. e.g. if in pseudo-code: If C <> 0 then plot stock symbol once in one location only on chart in BIG Letters Not sure of my syntax but need syntax for plotting symbol e.g in pseudo-code: 'Plot symbol' and also need to know how to ensure 'plot once' rather than above every bar that shows the condition. If anybody is feeling (really) generous or can give me some pointers, would really be appreciated.
MS Support  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:45:40 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Mokwit Go to Quoted Post
I'm on P434 of Metastock user manual where it covers plotting values and text As far as I can tell need to write a formula for expert commentary in Metastock code language that plots the symbol only plots the symbol once rather than above every bar showing the condition. e.g. if in pseudo-code: If C <> 0 then plot stock symbol once in one location only on chart in BIG Letters Not sure of my syntax but need syntax for plotting symbol e.g in pseudo-code: 'Plot symbol' and also need to know how to ensure 'plot once' rather than above every bar that shows the condition. If anybody is feeling (really) generous or can give me some pointers, would really be appreciated.

Hi again,

This is certainly a bit of a work-around and not an ideal way to resolve what you're looking to do. The expert commentary would be contained within it's own window. You can dock the window on the side/bottom/top of a chart, or you can resize the floating commentary window as small as possible and stick it in the upper left corner of your chart. Commentary is also limited to displaying for one chart at a time (the active chart) so would be less useful for a multi-chart setup. It would probably be most beneficial for scrolling through a watchlist of stocks.

The biggest issue I see with this is that the commentary window has a certain 'minimum' box size which may be more screen real estate than you're willing to give it.

As for the actual code, you could simply put the following into a New Expert Commentary formula to see how it works:

<symbol>

You'll notice typical Font type controls at the top of the dialogue, and you can highlight the above text after you paste it and play with the size and font type.

Edited by user Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:53:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified