logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
viking4020  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2015 9:21:07 AM(UTC)
viking4020

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am confused about when to use smart charts or when to use charts. I have found smart charts frustrating as they do not always display with the indicator setup I expected. How do I use them and how do I start again? Hope someone can help me enjoy Metastock a bit more than at present.
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 2:26:02 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, Which version of MetaStock are you using? Smart Charts are designed to open the way you last left them. If no smart chart exists for a particular symbol, then the Default template is used to construct a new smart chart. You can only have 1 smart chart for a given symbol. Smart charts save automatically when you close them. You can also turn any chart into a smart chart in the event you want to replace the smart chart for a particular symbol. Whenever you manually apply a template, the chart that opens will be a standard chart, not a smart chart. This will be denoted in the upper left corner with a prefix such as "Chart1 - Amazon" whereas a Smart Chart would just say "Amazon".
viking4020  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:26:35 PM(UTC)
viking4020

Sorry... Using Metastock 11. Still confused about how to use smart charts. I do an exploration, get half dozen stocks. Open one at a time and they could have different indicators displayed. How do I get them opening with a particular desired setup?
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:21:48 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, The Open Chart button within the exploration reports is designed to open the Smart Chart for the listed symbols. However those particular smart charts were last opened is how they would look via the Open Chart button. If the symbol had never been previously opened, it would use the Default template to construct the smart chart. How you use Smart Charts, Charts, and Templates would largely depend on your workflow. If you simply have a Default template that you want consistently applied to all your stock symbols, then you may need to clear out your old smart charts to get all your symbols to use your current Default template. Clearing Old Smart Charts: (Using Online Data) 1. Navigate to the DataOnDemand Cache folder through Windows Explorer (Typically C:\MetaStock Data\DataOnDemand Cache) 2. Ensure no charts are opened within MetaStock 3. Click on the "MSSMART" folder and delete it (All existing smart charts will be lost, meaning any custom text,indicators,etc will be gone) (Using Local Data) 1. Navigate to local data folder containing your stocks (i.e. C:\MetaStock Data\My Stocks) 2. Ensure no charts are opened within MetaStock 3. Click on the "MSSMART" folder and delete it (All existing smart charts will be lost, meaning any custom text,indicators,etc will be gone) There are other workflows that can also be used here. You could also use the Save List button to create a watchlist out of your results. After doing so, rather than opening the stocks from the report, you could go back to File-->Open, go to Favorites and open them via your new watchlist. At that point you could choose to open the symbol with a particular template designed with your particular indicators, expert, etc. In the lower right corner of your chart, there is a "Choose Security" button. When you click on this button and click Options, you can adjust what happens when you use the Next/Previous Security buttons. You can either have the Next/Previous buttons open the Smart Chart for the next symbol in your list, or you can set the option to "Use Chart As Template". This means that whatever template was used to open your first chart, will be used when you click the Next/Previous buttons. Smart Charts are designed to be a quick way to open a chart that remembers the way you left it, so keeping them in a standardized view requires a bit of maintenance as described above.
viking4020  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 10:49:07 PM(UTC)
viking4020

Thank you MS support. I will try your very comprehensive response and let you know how it goes.