logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nasdaqtrader  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:22:04 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Henry, is right the EOD will still be Reuters Datalink data, only the real time is new and we lost Esignal also with MS 12. I called sales today Henry and ask about integration with online trading platforms, they told me maybe in the future they really only guessed on that. The Explorer, expert and system really had no issue on the older version.
Regards, Frank Koenig Trade Like a Pro Trend is your Friend
jjstein  
#42 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:44:07 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
nasdaqtrader wrote:
Henry, is right the EOD will still be Reuters Datalink data

Anybody else seen this? http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/metastocktips/message/2677

The key part being:
Quote:
The problem with MS v12 would seem to be that it cannot access "local data".

That will be the final nail in the coffin. It implies that none of the development staff or marketing people actually USE the product, certainly not with any degree of sophistication.

There's been no improvement for several years and four version. It's like the programmers aren't allowed to touch the primary code, other than to adjust it to make it work on each new version of Windows.

mstt  
#43 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:11:34 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Hi Johnathan

Having just bought MS 12 EOD without a data subscription I'm now reasonably sure that it cannot be used without officially-sanctioned online data. At this point I cannot complete loading of MS 12 unless and until I get past the data login stage. Fortunately I can still run versions 7.03, 8.1, 9.1, 10.1 or 11 using Premium Data, and while having a non-operable MS 12 is disappointing it's not a total write-off for me.

Roy
jjstein  
#44 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:30:02 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Hi Roy,
mstt wrote:
Having just bought MS 12 EOD without a data subscription I'm now reasonably sure that it cannot be used without officially-sanctioned online data.
I find that even more astounding than ignoring suggestions from the Forum and utter failure to improve the product since version 8.
wabbit  
#45 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:54:24 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I have heard from a very reliable source, that MS12 doesn't support your local data, so any MS formatted data that you have is now defunct in MS12, and I believe that goes for creating your own data sets too?

Very sad that Equis have chosen to do this.

wabbit [:D]

jjstein  
#46 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:09:49 PM(UTC)
jjstein

According to Richard Dale, they are going to online-only data: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/equismetastock/message/31717

That will slow Explorations beyond reason...cripple file-based add-ons, stop Excel interaction, prevent use of Specialized Data sources, etc.

Instead of adding improvements, they're removing features and downgrading performance.

bluroket  
#47 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:58:54 AM(UTC)
bluroket

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Yep, I cannot access my old local charts, and absolutely NO improvements on anything for EOD users. Just paid $150 for the power console. I am so ripped off.
haddison  
#48 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:58:25 AM(UTC)
haddison

I hope they fixed the Enhanced System Tester bugs that were in version 11 and below, such as these ones: http://forum.equis.com/forums/thread/18540.aspx http://forum.equis.com/forums/thread/29972.aspx (Especially this one - Equis admitted this is a bug) http://forum.equis.com/f...12/ShowThread.aspx#28412 Some of you might be thinking that some of the above are not bugs, but a Metastock user shouldn't have to implement awkward workarounds for what seems like a basic task. I won't be upgrading if they haven't been fixed. Anybody tried the above/noticed it has/hasn't been fixed? Thanks.
PTJim  
#49 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:04:15 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm thinking this dopey move would cripple TradeSim from Compuvision as well.

Additionally, I have no desire for any of the "new" features and if it's still a Windows98-era design with no multiprocessor capability, it looks pretty useless. I was happy with 9.1, skipped 10 and only bought 11 to run it (in a mediocre fashion, after crippling Aero features) on Window7.

Sheesh; it's as if Equis wants to commit suicide, but have users do the job for them. I'm surprised they're not trying to sell 12 with "NEW! RMO 2.0!!!!! Everyone's excited about this one!!!!!"

jjstein wrote:
According to Richard Dale, they are going to online-only data: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/equismetastock/message/31717

That will slow Explorations beyond reason...cripple file-based add-ons, stop Excel interaction, prevent use of Specialized Data sources, etc.

Instead of adding improvements, they're removing features and downgrading performance.

richieds  
#50 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:15:38 PM(UTC)
richieds

Any idea if EOD 12 works with Windows 8?
PTJim  
#51 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:23:17 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
richieds wrote:
Any idea if EOD 12 works with Windows 8?

Three years after release, MS 11 is still clunky and not fully compatible with Windows7 (several things in Win7 have to be changed or crippled, and inner windows must have title bars turned off to restore properly for me) and it's never been patched in those three years.

So, I would guess no, not fully Win8 compatible, maybe not at all. Based on history, it may never be fully compatible, since they still haven't mastered Win7 years later.

It's not an issue for me; I'll stick with MS 11 (might even revert to 9.1 depending on platform) and have zero interest in MS 12 or Win8. Neither offer anything new or useful.
haddison  
#52 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:12:07 PM(UTC)
haddison

I've installed MS 11 Pro on Windows 8, no problems so far, although I haven't used it much.
richieds  
#53 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:45:53 PM(UTC)
richieds

As far as EOD version goes, it does look like the Power Console & data management are the only upgrades. More of an update than a true upgrade. While it looks like Equis has hit a writer's block as far as taking this software much further, I'm not one who believes that fancier bells & whistles are going to translate into better trading profits. I like the data management system since I used reuters anyway. If you want fancy, there are plenty of add-ons but I've tried 2 and found both to be less than useless.
nasdaqtrader  
#54 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:51:11 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Bulli, I have been using MS 12 since Monday, and I continue going back to MS 11. The poer console is nice, but for some reason I feel that I'm limited and is not friendly user to me. I'm sorry for upgrading to MS 12, and currently upset with them and I think this will hurt them all together an loose alot of users I see alot of other users agree to our opinion also that this is just a update and not a upgrade.
nasdaqtrader  
#55 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:18:00 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

PTJim, I agree with your comments on MS it's still behind the moon on technology. I skip on MS 9 & 10. I have MS 11 still and this week I upgraded to MS 12 and a big mistake I made. I keep going back to MS 11. You think they will be coming out with RMO 2.0? when I speak with the sales reps they all tell you that they are getting alot of new users because of the RMO system. I have been with MS since the start of the software, and I have the following add-ons Bollinger Band, CPR, Pivot Plus, Big Trends, Trade Oracle, ETS, Pristine Pattern Method. None of these add-on's are worth it. Right now conteplatin if I should return the MS 12 version for a full refund. Sales reps told me that there is a major overhaul and they are getting positive feedback and users upgrading. I also have OmniTrader since they came out and there software is alot better then MS and OmniTrader is alot smaller company.
billtrudeau  
#56 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 6:48:40 AM(UTC)
billtrudeau

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Have they increased the number of custom formulas allowed in version 12?
henry1224  
#57 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 8:07:48 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Equis is forcing users to their data feed. I want to know if it can be used with other software?
just what type of integration does this data feed or new version of software has with online brokers?
Most of the add-ons to their data package are free from my online broker.
I want to keep my data feed costs down. I can't see paying $200 p/mo for XENITH and a nasdaq level2 feed and then have to shell out another $100 for another type of data feed to support my other software!
Does the new version support 64 bit multi core processing?
I assume that all of the new indicators and experts are password protected, that has been their practice before, so I don't expect that to change.
I would not expect to see an increase in the number of custom formulas.

NOTE: MetaStock Admin has made a change to this post – we have updated the name of the product to “XENITH” to reflect the accurate name of the product.

nasdaqtrader  
#58 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 4:07:19 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry, I hope you and your family are safe grounds while Hurricane Sandy passes through the area. Trading is suspended for Tuesday again. Keep safe
henry1224  
#59 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 4:51:30 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank's for your thoughts!

I'm fine, after the storms from last year, I had a 14 KW standby generator installed.
I won't lose power again.

To be honest, I hope the neighborhood loses power for a few days.

I know that the trees on the golf course's will still be standing.

I hope that you find a peaceful solution for your Metastock V12 problem.

You and several of us other traders,use multiple software's and we all look for a reliable data feed.
I don't want to pay twice for features that are provided free by my online broker.

I want integration between metastock and my broker's software.

Thank's again

Henry
jjstein  
#60 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 5:41:55 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Quote:
Three years after release, MS 11 is still clunky and not fully compatible with Windows7 (several things in Win7 have to be changed or crippled, and inner windows must have title bars turned off to restore properly for me) and it's never been patched in those three years.<br><br>So, I would guess no, not fully Win8 compatible, maybe not at all. Based on history, it may never be fully compatible, since they still haven't mastered Win7 years later.<br><br>It's not an issue for me; I'll stick with MS 11 (might even revert to 9.1 depending on platform) and have zero interest in MS 12 or Win8. Neither offer anything new or useful.<br>

FWIW, I'd go back to 9.1, at least -- so you won't have to deal with online DRM. Actually, 8.0 was just fine.

It appears that the company now views MetaStock as merely a sales conduit for their data offerings, evidenced by the fact that there's been absolutely no development whatsoever. They are on track to become the Borland or Lotus 1-2-3 of TA software. This smacks of "accountant-style managment"; "milk" all you can out of it, rather than investing in development. What they call a "Version" would be a "Maintenance Update" for any other software product; 10 years and four "versions" of this amounts to nothing but band-aid work to keep the product running on new versions of Windows. Asking customers to pay for these "Maintenance Updates" is a strong clue -- they're NOT putting money into product development.

The data-based product has no interest for me, personally -- after using their data since day one, it became necessary to finally switch, after a year when lists were haphazardly re-arranged (ruining all my local charts), with the final straw being having to wait several months for the S&P 500 constituents list to be updated. Besides, the whole monthly update process (when on time) was so clunky and time-consuming on a monthly basis that I would NEVER go back. EVER.

For an alternative, I am currently taking a very serious look at AmiBroker. Seems to have a lot of power, dynamic development, an extremely active forum and exceptionally flexible data sourcing.

I continue with MS, since I'm become so familiar with it, but with no development after a decade, well, it's become outdated -- the ONLY saving grace is the conciseness & power it offers. That won't last forever.

My (sad) $0.02 worth for the day,