logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Will808  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:06:59 AM(UTC)
Will808

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I bought FIRE recently in order to produce the NH-NL index for my non US data, and it's doing an excellent job of that. I'm now looking at the ERSA report, and trying to get that working. The MS Data CD for non US stocks does not come with default Sectors and Industries, and Stocks Grouped by Sector folders, so I need to create my own. So, I've created about 50 industry folders and added the relevant stocks to these in the downloader. The stocks update fine, and I can run the ERSA report on an individual industry by selecting folder with the "Add All Sub Folders" option checked. So this tells me whether, for example, one food retailer is performing more strongly than another within that specific folder. I've then created about 10 sector folders, which contain on average 5 industry folders each - hope this makes sense - so effectively my directory structure is: C:\MS Data\UK Stocks\Sectors and Industries\Retail\Food Retailers\SBRY What I am really struggling with is how do I compare individual industries within a sector? And then how do I compare the sectors against each other? So what I am really looking for is to find that the Retail Sector is outperforming the other Sectors, and that within that Sector, the Food Retailers industry is doing the best, and that within that industry, the SBRY ticker is the strongest performer. I can' imagine this can be too hard to do, but the documentation really relies on using the default MS Data CD and is not very helpful if you don't have this. One other thing to note - when I run the ERSA report across each of my individual industry folders, an "External Relative Strength" folder appears within that industry folder, and it contains a text file for each ticker within that industry. I would guess that these could be used to somehow expand the report across other industries, and then the same thing to do it with sectors. Sorry for the long post; I've spent all week trying to explain this to MS support and either they aren't getting it, or they just don't know the answer. Thanks for any help with this. Will
jjstein  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:47:02 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Who's your data supplier?

Will808  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:34:00 AM(UTC)
Will808

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Its' Quote Center - thanks :)
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:06:20 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
You could run the exploration "Equis Performance Daily" on the sector indexes you made with fire. You can sort by the different time frames to see which preformed best over that interval. Then you can run the same exploration on the folder to see which security preformed best.

Alternately, you can use one of the FIRE explorations that use ERSA. Those were designed to do comparisons like you are asking about