logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gregor  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:49:14 AM(UTC)
Gregor

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I was recently asked how to transfer Metastock to a new computer. Its a good question as the answer isn't in "help" or the "owners's user guide" manual. Here's the answer[;)]

Follow the steps listed below to move your custom work in Metastock to a new or different computer:

1. Metastock Data Files: The best way to move Metastock data files is to use The Downloader to copy them. Choose Tools/Copy in The Downloader. Click 'Browse' to locate the folder, highlight all the names in that folder using the Ctrl or Shift keys and then click 'Copy'. You'll then be asked for the destination folder. If the old computer is connected to the new computer, browse for a location on the C drive on the new computer. Otherwise, copy them to a floppy or Zip Disk (Zip Disk would be ideal) and then follow the process in reverse on the new computer to copy them from the disk to the C drive. This process will also copy your smartcharts (check 'Copy Smartchart' on the 'Copy Securities' dialog that prompts for the Destination Folder).

2. Custom formulas that you have created (Explorations, System Tests, etc.): Use the Formula Organizer to export the formulas to the new computer (if the new computer is connected to the old one), or to a floppy or Zip Disk. To access the Formula Organizer, open any of the Advanced Tools in Metastock and click 'Organizer'. Follow the on-screen instructions to export to the new computer or to export to a disk. Once the export is complete, follow the process in reverse on the new computer to import from the location where the formulas were exported to.

3. Custom charts (will have an extension of .MWC) and Layouts (will have an extenstion of .MWL): These can be copied using Windows, however, the Metastock data files from which they were created must be in the same path on the new computer as they were on the old one. For example, if you saved a chart file named IBM.MWC in C:\Program Files\Equis\Metastock\Charts using data stored in C:\Metastock Data\My Data on the old computer, you must copy the data into C:\Metastock Data\My Data on the new computer. The same is true for layouts. The data from which they were created must be in the same place on the new computer as it was on the old. If it won't be feasible to copy the data to the new computer into the same path, save the charts and layouts on the old computer as templates (which can be applied to data in any location), then copy the templates (see below) to the new computer and apply them to the desired symbols.

4. Templates: Metastock Templates will have an extension of .MWT and can be copied to the new computer using Windows. They can be stored anywhere on the hard drive, but the default location for templates is C:\Program Files\Equis\Metastock\Charts.

NPENDRIGH  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:00:03 AM(UTC)
NPENDRIGH

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

This is great - thank you :)

How can we transfer Custom Toolbar settings?

Thank you in advance

Nigel

Justin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:10:56 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

The custom toolbar is actually stored in a single file within the MetaStock folder called MS70CTB.DTA. There is no import/export for this, so you'd basically just have to copy and replace the file.
nguyengoc  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:56:28 AM(UTC)
nguyengoc

hello
i am new !
please help me this
show me how to update price ,volume to my metastock ? not by downloader .i do not want to download too much file ,only some symbol that i choose .
plese help me
thanks much and hoping to receive the answers from you !

NPENDRIGH  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:29:44 AM(UTC)
NPENDRIGH

Justin wrote:
The custom toolbar is actually stored in a single file within the MetaStock folder called MS70CTB.DTA.  There is no import/export for this, so you'd basically just have to copy and replace the file.
Thank you Justin For some reason I missed your original reply! I have looked for the file that you mention and I cannot find it I am using EOD 9.1 and the latest file date is the date I installed the product on my PC and I added the customisation after that - thus at the moment I am stuck :(
Justin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:05:41 PM(UTC)
Justin

nguyengoc wrote:
hello
i am new !
please help me this
show me how to update price ,volume to my metastock ? not by downloader .i do not want to download too much file ,only some symbol that i choose .
plese help me
thanks much and hoping to receive the answers from you !

I'd recommend first starting with our recorded videos:

https://www.metastock.com/customer/training/outline.aspx?c=1
Justin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:12:21 PM(UTC)
Justin

NPENDRIGH wrote:
Justin wrote:
The custom toolbar is actually stored in a single file within the MetaStock folder called MS70CTB.DTA. There is no import/export for this, so you'd basically just have to copy and replace the file.
Thank you Justin For some reason I missed your original reply! I have looked for the file that you mention and I cannot find it I am using EOD 9.1 and the latest file date is the date I installed the product on my PC and I added the customisation after that - thus at the moment I am stuck :(

The file should be in C:\Program Files\Equis\MetaStock, but you may want to try performing a Search in Windows to track it down. Keep in mind this file does not change from version to version, so it will always be MS70CTB.DTA, even if you are using MetaStock 10.1.
NPENDRIGH  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:52:49 PM(UTC)
NPENDRIGH

The computer found it eventually in C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Equis\MetaStock The OS is Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Justin  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 11:46:04 AM(UTC)
Justin

Ah okay, Vista can do some odd things like that. I believe that virtual store is used any time Vista blocks you moving a file. It acts like it is putting it where it should go, but ends up putting it in this virtual store location. It is unusual that this would happen as part of our installation process (possibly if you tried putting a non-Vista compatible version onto Vista). Most of the time I see this is when you try to save an attachment directly into \Program Files. The work-around would be to manually copy and paste the file into the MetaStock folder.
NPENDRIGH  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:47:50 PM(UTC)
NPENDRIGH

Justin Do you think it would be useful to able to seperate the program files and the data? For instance, if the programs are on the C drive and all the user's data is on another partition, then WHEN not if the OS needs re-installing, the data is all there even if it was not possible to back up the system partition This could be easily done by expanding the choice in the File Locations settings under Tools, Options, Application Properties window Has this already been done or in the queue of new features?
Justin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:41:11 AM(UTC)
Justin

It would be nice to see a little more control of working folders for various items. Currently you can install MetaStock to drives other than the boot drive, but there are some items (such as the Broad Market Indicators/Data) that are somewhat hard-coded to be on a specific drive. Some files (such as Formula Files) can have their path modified via the Registry, but I wouldn't recommend this for most.

I am sure it is on enhancement lists although I am not sure of its priority. I can make sure and confirm that it is noted.

NPENDRIGH  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:49:47 PM(UTC)
NPENDRIGH

Justin "I can make sure and confirm that it is noted" Thanks this will be great
mark1230  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 12:12:50 AM(UTC)
mark1230

well really thanks for this guide.I was thinking of re installing it but i would have missed the files.What about when computer crashes.Is there any way we can get our old files back
NPENDRIGH  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 1:42:44 AM(UTC)
NPENDRIGH

The obvious step is to use the above information and ensure that you back up your data :-) If you have not done this, have someone put your failed drive in a system that does work (or use a boot disk of some type) to access the data mentioned above and back it up then
wijnaldumwilliam  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 7:59:42 AM(UTC)
wijnaldumwilliam

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers

The active process will be listening for the allow to transfer active of metastock software your orginal computer to your new own computer.

Informatica Training in Chennai | Click