logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
feliperauls  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2005 6:21:17 PM(UTC)
feliperauls

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi guys, I´m really new to metastock, and I´d like to point out something I havent been able to figure out by myself. I´m using metastock 9.0 Ok ... we have the system tester, and we have the expert advisor. THEY SHOULD GIVE YOU THE SAME RESULTS IF USED WITH THE SAME SYSTEM ON THE SAME SECURITY, RIGHT ? Ok ... here´s the deal ... If I run, for example, the PS Stock RSI system with 500 periods in the System tester, and I attach the same system (PS Stock Rsi) to the same security, they point me the same orders (buy/sell points) ... Well, not exactly the same, because the System Tester makes the trade on the opening of the next day, but anyways, you can clearly see that on the charts that there´s a one bar divergence. But if I run the System tester with a period LESS than 500 periods prior, everything gets different ... the same system (PS Stock Rsi) on the same security is going to generate MANY LESS trades than compared to the expert advisor ! If i view the details of the system test, on the ORDERS tab, I see that ALL the trades that the expert advisor pointed out are there, but they just get "CONSIDERED" and "PLACED", and never executed, because of the following: "CANCELLED - OPEN COST" I hope I made myself clear ... Running System Tester with 500 periods or more: same results as Expert Advisor ... Running System tester with LESS than 500 periods: same results, BUT they dont become actual trades because of "CANCELLED - OPEN COST" ... If this is an issue, how can I system test the system in the last month only for example ? The orders are the same, but they arent realized because of OPEN COST .... so I can´t really know how the system has performed on the last month. Thanks a lot... Felipe
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2005 1:02:08 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you don't mind I will move your question to the FAQ's Before we get in a discussion as to wether this is bug or not. I work for Equis and I consider this a bug, Equis product developpers say it is working as designed ( Both sides can be argued trust me :roll: ) ... What's more important here, is that you understand why it happens and what it means ... When you run an equity test, the program calculates the number of shares you can purchase. For example I have set my initial equity at $10000 and my setting is to use 100% of available equity. Today I get a buy signal and at the close price the value of the share is $10. so the program calculates that I can buy on the next day at the open 1000 shares. Now the next day at the open there is a gapup or the price opens higher than 10 dollars for any reasons ... The program will say ok, yesterday I had an order to buy 1000 shares so 1000 * 10.000001 is greater than $10000 so I can't buy and therefore cancel the order. Two suggestions : 1 - I usually use points only tests ... For many reasons ... 2 - If you really want equity test use use less than %100 of your initial investments ( Set it at %90 or 95% ) I hope this helps.
feliperauls  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2005 4:13:30 AM(UTC)
feliperauls

Hey patrick, that helped a lot, thanks, but I´m still having some issues. I would appreciate your help again. I understood what you said and I went for some Points Only tests ... But now ... I´m having a lot of "CANCELLED - POSITION LIMITS" going on ... Just for you to have an idea, on the first security I ran the system, I got 162 Considered/Open orders, but ONLY EIGHT executed ... (154 got cancelled because of POSITION LIMIT"s ... ) Do you know what´s going on ? and what does it mean ? Thanks in advance, nice trades. Felipe.
feliperauls  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2005 4:20:10 AM(UTC)
feliperauls

Sorry for posting the previous question without really digging into it .. I found out that I had set as a parameter only one position at a time ... so if the system had already bought the stock, and a few bars later, he "considers" buying it again, it will be cancelled because of my position limit. That´s what was happening.