logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anthony_au  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2005 3:23:56 PM(UTC)
Anthony_au

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi ..my first post and it is regarding backing up files. I cannot find anywhere how to properly back up my data and all necessary files for Metastock end of day. Can someone please point me in the right direction/topic or outline the method to use to have complete up to date backup in case of my program/data becoming corrupted.
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2005 3:31:28 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How to back up saved charts, layouts and templates? Close MetaStock. Once to your Desktop, double click onto My Computer Double click onto the C: drive Double click on the Program Files folder Double click onto Equis Double click on the MetaStock folder Within the MetaStock folder, there will be a folder called "Charts". Right click onto the "Charts" folder and select copy from the drop down menu. Right click onto the location of where you want to back up this folder and select "paste". If you are backing up to the floppy drive, insert the floppy disk, right click onto the floppy drive in My Computer and select paste. Remove the floppy when the pasting procedure is complete.
Patrick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2005 3:32:04 PM(UTC)
Patrick

How to back up my custom formulas? With MetaStock open (If it will not open for some reason, search for FormOrg.exe and run it, to launch the Formula Organizer wizard) 1. Open the Tools menu and select Indicator Builder 2. Click onto the Organizer button and select "Export formula files" and click Next. 3. The formula wizard will cycle you through all the Power Tools (Indicator Builder, System Tester, Explorer, and Expert Advisor) 4. As the wizard cycle you through each power tool you are going to highlight the items you want to back up. If you are highlighting more then one make sure you are holding down the "CTRL" key as you highlight, other wise it will only highlight one item. 5. The last window of the Wizard will ask you to define the Destination Folder using the Browse point to the location you want to back up your formula files to (For example, A:\\). 6. After you have assigned the Destination Folder hit Finish, if you wish to password protect your formulas now is your chance when you are prompted to enter a password go ahead and do so. Note: If you choose to password protect your formulas and you forget your password there is no way for you (or us) to retrieve the information.
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2005 3:32:59 PM(UTC)
Patrick

How can I back up my favorites? The Favorites "folder" is not a true folder. It is actually a *.dta file, and all it contains is shortcut links to the files you "placed" in it. In other words, if I have a file, FGLB in my C:\\MetaStock Data\\my stocks folder, and I "place" it in the Favorites folder, all I am really doing is putting a notation of where FGLB is located (its pathname) in the Favorties.dta file. To back up FGLB, I have to backup the actual file itself in my C:\\MetaStock Data\\my stocks folder. Although you can take your Favorites.dta file, after closing MetaStock to save any changes to the file, and move it to your laptop into the MetaStock folder there, the pathnames it contains may not have valid pathnames to your data files on the laptop. If your files are all in the exact same location, full path-wise, including the drive letter, then the links in Favorites.dta should point to them OK. If they are not, then the links in Favorites.dta will not work, they will produce an error, probably "file not found" or something similar. The History is also not a true folder, just a *.dta file with similar links. Same situation.
Patrick  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2005 3:39:02 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Let me know if there is anything else that you would need to backup.