logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
htan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2005 5:58:42 AM(UTC)
htan

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi, can someone assist me how to create personal stock index. I mean, an index similiar to Dow/Nasdaq. I've selected around 30 stocks and I would like to create stock index based on those 30stocks. First of all I tried to understand metastock by purchasing 'Metastock in Nutshell' and I couldn't find anything inside the book except a few simple steps. If anyone has experience in creating index using metastock, your help is really appreciated. HT.
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:26:46 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The only way to create a index in Metastock That I know of is to use the security function. It will unfortunatlely only be available as an indicator and might be kinda slow. For example I want IBM, MSFT, INTC ... I would write : Security1:=Security("IBM",C); Security2:=Security("MSFT",C); Security3:=Security("INTC",C); (Security1+Security2+Security3)/3 Of course you can add more securities to your formula but watch for the way you write it, as you are limited to 20 variables ... Also you need any version of MetaStock Pro or MetaStock 9 EOD. Hope this helps.
htan  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2005 4:32:49 AM(UTC)
htan

Patrick, thanks for your reply. based on your formula, we're actually only creating a trendline as you get all the Security Closing Price divided by 3? If possible I would like to create a stock index such as: -opening price -closing price -high -low -volume Similiar to what we can see in Nasdaq. Is it possible to do this in Metastock by browsing the listed 'Securities'? tx
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2005 4:53:15 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you want a "full"index, then my only suggestion would be to create an excel file, calculate the values for your index every day and convert the excel file to MetaStock format. It would be a pretty tedious task to accomplish everyday depending on how many stocks you intend to use in your Index. ( 30 securities being a lot to deal with , especialy if you want historical data )
htan  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2005 8:28:12 AM(UTC)
htan

thank you. Let me explore it later.