logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NeptuneG23  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:26:40 AM(UTC)
NeptuneG23

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I’m new to this forum and MetaStock for that matter. Anyways, I purchased the PowerPivot add-on and have been playing around with creating a system; but, can’t seem to figure out the PP+ functions. The manual that came with the program only mentions a few functions and doesn’t even touch on how to use them effectively. I don’t know where to start. Is there any advice on how to begin learning about the PowerPivot functions (most of the systems, as you all know, are encrypted)?

I thought I would start with the “powerpivot.pivot” function; but I have run into a snag. I ran a system test where I used the “powerpivot.pivot” as a buy/sell generator to see what the delay between an actual visual pivot and the signal would be. I was impressed that the signals were quite close to the pivots. This led me to conclude that the “powerpivot.pivot” function generates a value or result on or near the day of a pivot for which one can search with the explorer. Using the explorer I thought I would try to find securities with the “powerpivot.pivot” function so that I might further develop a system for trading those securities. Unfortunately, this was not as easy as I thought it would be. The manual that came with the plug-in lead me to believe that the “powerpivot.pivot” function generates a number between -4 and 4; therefore I tried to use an “if then” formula to screen for these securities. However, the explorer report is giving me an error along the lines of ‘filter results are not defined at the current date’ (sorry, not at my home computer). Do I need to use the “PowerPivot.EvalSys” function in conjunction with the “PowerPivots.Pivots” function? If so can anyone give me any direction on how to do this? And again my first question, is there any advice on how to begin learning about the PowerPivot functions (most of the systems, as you all know, are encrypted)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

henry1224  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2006 10:24:38 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Neptune, The pivot symbols are formed after the price has retraced, so their value as a timing signal in a system are useless. The powerpivot.pivot formula should be used to determine support and resistance instead.

Trend direction is another function that should be used with caution, but it is a valuable function when used correctly

A:=extfml("PowerPivots.trendDirection",1,2);

TD:=If(Sum(A>0,2)>1,1,If(Sum(A<0,2)>1,-1,0));

TD;

For further info search the forum for some of my posts on PP+

NeptuneG23  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2006 10:04:05 PM(UTC)
NeptuneG23

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Thanks for the tip. I was able to read up on some of the other posts and had begun to come to the conclusion that you confirmed. I was suspicious after the system test that I performed using the pivot function as a buy/sell signal looked too good to be true and the explorer always returned a zero value after an exploration. I suppose that it is always prudent to cross check any trading system several different ways to confirm that the results are valid.

I downloaded the PP+ toolkit and have been spending my spare time experimenting. This forum is invaluable. Thanks Again.