logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aadi  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2006 9:47:07 PM(UTC)
aadi

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi All, May be the question i am going to ask is already awnsered somewhere here in this forum but I could not find it. I am from Pakistan where I trade in a local stock exchange which provides it own trading terminal which has a facility of saving the realtime tick by tick feed into a plain text file. I developed a software in VB6 for my personal use which reads this realtime feed every 10 seconds and outputs the ticker, last price and trade volume fields via DDE. To bridge my software and the MetaStock I used HyperServer Lite. This Hyperserver lite was a free version till december 2005 after which I assume that something happened to that company 'cause they are not even awnsering emails or posts on their forum. As long as hyperserver was available or was free, I didn't bother to look for anyother possible solution but now I am looking for all possible solutions to my problem of feeding my realtime datafeed into metastock. Following are my questions and awnser to anyone of these can solve my problem. [list:f159c9a77e]- Is there any free (Lite version) software available which can act like HyperServer and accept feed via DDE and provide it to MetaStock? I already know about the paid softwares like MetaServer RT :) - Or Is there any free (Lite version) software available which can read comma seperated text file and provide the selected feilds to MetaStock? - Or Is there any built-in facility in MetaStock (like AmiBroker does have) of accepting real time feed via a DDE server? - Or can I get some sort of free SDK/MDK/API which I can use in my software to directly feed the Equis Data Server/MetaStock File Server?[/list:u:f159c9a77e] Anyother possible solutions are also welcomed. Thanks in advance :wink:
Justin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2006 1:28:00 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

aadi wrote:
- Or Is there any free (Lite version) software available which can read comma seperated text file and provide the selected feilds to MetaStock?
The DownLoader can do this using Tools>Convert and using a source type of ASCII
aadi wrote:
- Or Is there any built-in facility in MetaStock (like AmiBroker does have) of accepting real time feed via a DDE server?
Not to my knowledge, MetaStock can output via OLE and DDE but not input.
aadi wrote:
- Or can I get some sort of free SDK/MDK/API which I can use in my software to directly feed the Equis Data Server/MetaStock File Server?
No, MetaStock sells a developer's kit but to my knowledge they only ever give out read access, not write access so you could not write directly into the MetaStock format. You would still have to convert the data somehow
aadi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:50:07 AM(UTC)
aadi

The Downloader is not one of the options for the purpose of realtime feed. I can not run Downloader manually after every 10 seconds to import new data and if I really atempt to do this then I will don't have any time left to watch the graph which is the main purpose :wink:
chheda  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:04:40 AM(UTC)
chheda

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hi Aadi Download new version of Hyperserver Lite . It is free . You have to download new version of Hyperserver Lite in december end for next year . Can u guide me if there is a facility to save file in .csv format how to use this facility so that the file can be saved automatically and reflect ticker , last price and volume field as DDE . Also i am using Hyperserver Lite for yahoo finance for using DDE I have to download any different version of Hyperserver Lite ? Thanks in advance for your help. Harish Chheda
aadi  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:40:45 AM(UTC)
aadi

Dear Chheda, I did download the Hyperserver lite for 2006 and also got it registerd but those people are not responding to new requests which alerts me and I want to prepare my own tools before 2006 ends. I am heavily dependent on realtime charts for intraday trading. Yes you need a different version of Hyperserver for DDE if you are lucky enough to get it registered.
aadi  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:19:25 AM(UTC)
aadi

In MetaStock FAQ on this forum I saw an awnser where a 3rd party software i.e. MetaSERVER RT Pro is recommended for non suported realtime feeds. As the above said 3rd party software acts as a DDE client and bridges the gap between DDE Server and MetaStock, I assume that Equis neither has any intention to provide realtime feed collection facility via DDE nor will it provide any SDK/API to it's users enabling them to do it themselves. No moderator has so far awnsered my question so I further assume that there is no other method except first buying MetaStock for viewing charts and then buying another software just to feed realtime data into Metastock :) Mods:- if my assumptions are correct than you may close this thread.
StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2006 5:35:02 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Aadi- The Equis forum is peer supported. It is not an outlet for paid technical support questions. There have been numerous DDE topics in the past with all kinds of solutions. Your needs are fairly specific with regards to real time support. I don't know of any free solutions to offer you. The two solutions that you have already mentioned have both been brought up in the past, too; however, I don't personally know of anyone currently using either of them to give you first-person feedback. Equis already offers the MDK which grants access to developing software which will interact with the MSFL. You can do this on your own or pay a professional programmer to do it for you. The MDK is available through Equis Sales. At the present time, there are no forum samples of programming MSFL; however, half of the MDK User's Manual is nothing but details and samples. Aside from that, there are several applications included on the support disk. If it is that important to you then don't skimp on the integrity of the solution. If you are going to trade real time (delayed) using MS, subscribe to real time data that MS can support or purchase a 3rd party solution. Free solutions are rarely "free".
aadi  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:08:51 AM(UTC)
aadi

Hi g_stockman, Yes you are right "free solutions are rarely free" that is why my first preference was to look for a development kit either from Equis or any 3rd party which can feed data into Metastock in realtime. If I can not find one then obviously I will have to purchase a 3rd party finished product. Thanks anyway. This forum is very helpfull indeed.