logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arnevanveen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 9:14:05 AM(UTC)
arnevanveen

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Dear all, Somewhere in a tradingsystem metastock the formula below is used. When testing, it gives very promising exit points. The problem is that i don't understand the way it is build and what it exactly does :? . Can someone explain the formula to me, it is based on a combination of bollinger bands and RSI? Formula: Abs(13-BarsSince(Ref(C>BBandTop(C,20,S,2),-1) AND H<=Ref(H,-1) AND Ref(H,-1)>=Ref(H,-2) AND Ref(RSI(14)>65,-1)))<=7 AND Ref(C>BBandTop(C,20,S,1.25),-1) AND Ref(C<BBandTop(C,20,S,2),-1) AND H<=Ref(H,-1) AND Ref(H,-1)>=Ref(H,-2) AND Ref(RSI(14),-1)<ValueWhen(1,Ref(C>BBandTop(C,20,S,2),-1) AND H<=Ref(H,-1) AND Ref(H,-1)>=Ref(H,-2) AND Ref(RSI(14)>65,-1),Ref(RSI(14),-1)) AND BarsSince(C<BBandTop(C,20,S,1.25))<BarsSince(Ref(C>BBandTop(C,20,S,2),-1) AND H<=Ref(H,-1) AND Ref(H,-1)>=Ref(H,-2) AND Ref(RSI(14)>65,-1)) AND BarsSince(C>BBandTop(C,20,S,2))>BarsSince(C<BBandTop(C,20,S,1.25));
Jose  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 11:06:03 AM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
arnevanveen wrote:
Somewhere in a tradingsystem metastock the formula below is used.
Not so much a formula, but more like a spaghetti code nightmare. You would be better off asking the perpetrator of this "formula" what he/she had in mind. In the meantime, use the tidier code version below to try and sort out the exit strategy, which looks somewhat like a basic Bollinger Band Top breakout. [code:1:93e49958c4] h1:=Ref(H,-1); h2:=Ref(H,-2); bbt1:=BBandTop(C,20,S,2); bbt2:=BBandTop(C,20,S,1.25); rs:=RSI(14); condition:= H<=h1 AND h1>=h2 AND Ref(C>bbt1,-1) AND Ref(rs>65,-1); H<=h1 AND h1>=h2 AND Ref(C<bbt1,-1) AND Ref(C>bbt2,-1) AND BarsSince(C>bbt1)>BarsSince(C<bbt2) AND Abs(13-BarsSince(condition))<8 AND BarsSince(C<bbt2)<BarsSince(condition) AND Ref(rs,-1)<ValueWhen(1,condition,Ref(rs,-1)); [/code:1:93e49958c4] jose '-)
arnevanveen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 12:33:37 PM(UTC)
arnevanveen

Thank you Jose for you reply! I searched in metastock where i found it, it is in the Equis - Bollinger Bands - Expert System. This is written as explanation: This system is patterned after the rules in an article written by John Bollinger in the February 1992 issue of Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities magazine. The rules are based on Bollinger Bands in combination with the Relative Strength Index (RSI) and the trend. I checked your version and it gives exactly the same signals. Your version is much easier to figure out, and thats what i'm going to do right now. Thanks again!